Before we get to the popovers (they are soooo good!!!) I have to tell you what I’ve got myself into this time.  Truthfully, If I didn’t  see this stuff happen I would never believe these stories myself.  They are all true….every single one.

We have been battling fire ants for a few weeks but over the last week we began to really lose the fight.  The bug man has been here 5 times in one week trying to help us.  We’ve been covered in bites which become tiny blisters. I can’t tell you how horrid its been.  Thankfully, the infestation in the house was taken care of but not in the barn.

Broody Mama (the tiny hen) that was sitting on a clutch of eggs suffered one loss after another.  First, a snake broke into the hen house and ate 6 of her 9 eggs.  I was devastated on her behalf.  Then as her remaining eggs began to hatch the fire ants invaded her nest and killed one of her chicks right at birth!  One chick is doing great and is the love of that hens life and then the last egg….well that’s where things got a little crazy.

When I went to check on Broody Mama I found the fire ants and the dead chick.  It was a terrible sight!  The hen and her chick were hiding in a corner covered in bites.  I screamed so loudly I scared the feathers off that poor bird….I didn’t mean to scare her it was just such a terrible sight (the poor dead chick was covered with fire ants).  I kept hearing peeping but couldn’t find another chick.  The peeping became frantic….that’s when I found it.  A hole in the last egg was being invaded by fire ants!!!!!  The little chick was being attacked while still in the shell!!!

The only escape the chick had would be for me to open the egg.  Everything I’ve ever read says never open an egg to let a chick out.  I had no choice.  While trying to rescue that chick the fire ants turned on me and bit me more than 20 times on my hands and wrists.  I got the chick out of the shell but it was really not ready to be born.  That poor chick was about 2 days from being ready to come out of the shell.  I ran inside the house to try and save its life.

The chick was so cold.  Broody mama had fled the nest when the ant attack began so this chick had no warmth left.  I wrapped him with a towel and held him close while my husband got the heat lights ready.  I treated the bites all over his little body with neosporin and hoped for the best.

The poor little thing wasn’t able to hold up its own head so he surely couldn’t eat or drink.  We had little hope he would survive.  I just couldn’t bring myself to give up.  What a terrible way to be born!  I spent 3 days getting drops of water into that little chick.  Now he eats and drinks on his own.  After 2 days he was able to walk.  To say I was thankful is a real understatement.

That’s when I realized I had another problem….the chick thinks I’m his mother!!!    I have the chicks brooder set up in our master bathroom so I can easily look after him.  Now this chick screams all night until I go get him and let him hide in my hair.  I walk around doing my chores with this chick in my shirt keeping him warm and close so he doesn’t cry.

It’s like having a real baby!!!!!  What have I done!  I just wanted to save the little chicks life.  Now he has completely imprinted on me and wants to be with me all day.  As I write this he’s running around my neck and playing in my hair.  Sigh.

Now what?  I tried to find another chick about his age to keep him company but no one has any chicks right now.  I considered stealing Broody Mama’s chick but that would just crush her….she’s enjoying being a mom.  I tried to get Broody Mama to take this little chick….she just chases him away.

I’m a chick Mom.  I have no idea how to be a chick Mom.  How on earth do I get myself into these things!!!!  A better question is how do I get myself out?

May I introduce you to my little friend…. his or her (I have no idea yet) name is “Little Bit”.  Is it possible to litter box train a chicken?  No? Sigh.

little bit

Here is a better picture of Little Bit….

little bit 2

Homemade Popovers ~ Original recipe from unknown source.  I’v had it so long I can’t find the source.

Makes 6 popovers
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Here we go…

Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.
Grease a  6 well popover pan.  If you don’t have a popover pan you can use a muffin tin but only fill every other well to leave room for the nice puffy popover tops.

My beloved popover pan.

My beloved popover pan.

In a medium bowl beat eggs slightly, Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth; being careful not to overbeat. Fill custard cups 1/2 full.
Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes more. I like to serve these with a homemade honey butter of perhaps a fruit butter like Neeman Marcus does (I think they serve their popovers with strawberry butter).

Look how great they look…

Fresh hot popovers

Fresh hot popovers

26 Responses to Homemade Popovers….a wonderful breakfast and so simple!

1. Rose says:

I love your site so much when I didn’t see you awhile back I thought i had unsubscribe ,I searched for you high and low could not find you so I pout a bit then give up hoping to catch you again ,when I saw your Site came back I shout yippee you’re back ,that’s how much I like your site ,welcome back chicken mamma LOL !!!! Good luck with that little fellow.

I truly thank you very much. I missed being here too. I was lonely without my blog friends. I am beyond thankful to be able to get back to my projects again. I feel alive again. I don’t want to waste a moment of it! :)

2. Gerrie Etter says:

Enjoyed your chicken adventure. If you do that with geese, they become your protector. We were advised to get a gander to protect our chickens from the hawks. It works!! Hawks fly over the chickens, see the gander, and just keep on flying by. Your pop overs reminded e that I have not made any for our B & B guests in a long time. Yum. Thanks for the reminder.

I would love to have a gander….Don’t I need a body of water? I don’t have a pond or anything like that. I sure would love the extra help looking after the chickens. Popevers are always a huge hit! You have a B&B? That’s one of my life dreams!!!! Do you love it?

• Gerrie Etter says:

We have a cheap baby pool we keep clean water in for the geese. They splash around and clean themselves. We bought a pair, so the gander would have a mate. One of the goose eggs works like 3 chicken eggs in a recipe.I’ve had the B & B about 15 years. LOTS of work, but we meet the nicest people and we learn so much from them.

I think I will look into that! i would love to have a goose around here…. I love them! :) Thank you for the information. Im excited about a goose now!! Hubby maybe not so much :)

3. Mary says:

Amazing story! I’m glad for the happy ending for Little Bit. The popovers look incredible!

• Maria says:

Hi, im so glad you seem to be doing much better. I’ve been reading your blog now foe over a year. Have you tried putting your baby chick under the Mamma hen at night after she’s gone to bed, here in our farm in Nicaragua, that’s what we do. When the Mamma wakes up, the baby chick has her smell from sleeping all night in between her feathers and she ahould accept her/him.

Good luck and keep on having fun!!!

Thank you so very much, I am going to try putting little bit under her tonight and see what happens. I would love to see him with friends (other than me). I’ll let you know what happens. :)

Thank you so much!

4. Corky says:

It sure is a challenge to raise animals. What a cutie, sad that it is tough to try and potty train a chicken, if at all. Not sure where I’ve read or why it has stuck in my mind, but I have heard that Epsom salt will kill fire ants. I do wonder what affect it would have on the other babies if they were to consume it? Especially since chickens do have a tendency to peck at everything in sight. An infestation any kind is horrible, but ants seem to be a royal pain in the rear. Good luck.

The lone chicks get a little less needy as they get older. They make great pets. It’s happened to me a couple of times now. An old fashioned way to kill fire ants is to set grits out for them to eat. It then swells in them and kills them. I hate fire ants!

Oh my!!! Funny about you being a chick momma. It is not funny about the ants. They are horrible to deal with. We tried the grit thong and all they do is move on to another spot. At least that is what happened here. Thank goodness we have never had them that bad. Hope we never do.

Never made a popover. Haven’t eaten one either.

Oh my gosh it was just awful!!! The sight of that poor little chick covered and I do mean covered in ants was nightmare like. Little bit seems quite healthy and happy now. Thankfully.

Popovers are easy as pie to make and really scrumptious. Try it and tell me what you think?

7. iluminameluna says:

I did birth a chick once. It wouldn’t have made it otherwise and I have a bed that’s not available in El Salvador anymore. I don’t have much of a choice but to do what I can to help them survive. Imprinting I know abt but what the lady said abt putting them under momma hen at night works. It’s what I did with the one I birthed and in the morning it was like nothing had happened. It’s what my country grandma would do with baby turkeys or ducks or guinea hens or whatever kind of poultry she needed the hens to raise as their own. Our own version of being cuckoo birds, I guess. 😉

8. Karen in OH says:

Oh Tamatha! Your story starts out sooooo sadly . . . but couldn’t believe the situation you are in! LOL Oh my! Will Little Bit continue demanding “mom’s” attention even when grown??? One thing can be said. There is never a dull moment in your life!

9. Mia says:

You guys needed each other!

Tamatha, that sad story ended too funny! Good luck with Lil’ Bit! I am anxious to ruin my diet with those popovers!
    I’m looking forward to your next news!

11. Jann says:

Hysterical! First the piggy and now a chick. Love it!

OH I LOVE THAT STORY!!!!!!

13. Debra says:

Made me grin from ear to ear. It looks more like a chicken version of the ugly duckling…he he he…

14. Yes! Finally someone writes about tax lawyer new jersey.