My dream has always been to have a wonderful farm somewhere on the French or Italian countryside. Truthfully, I’ve never been to either place and maybe I would hate it. This has been my dream none-the-less. I’m don’t think I ever really thought it would happen, I just like to talk about being there and daydream about that lifestyle (again, keeping in mind I probably fell in love with the lifestyle I found in a movie not real life). Under the Tuscan sun comes to mind….While I was so sick I watched that movie over and over again. Seriously, probably 100 times. I wanted to be there not where I was.

Why waste time waiting for silly dreams based on nothing real to come true? Why not create the life I want right here where I am? What on earth took me so long to figure that out?? Perhaps getting really sick forced me to respect the now so much more than I ever did.

So, armed with my new outlook on life I began researching how to create the romantic idea of a farm that I have in my head. I already cook and bake everything from scratch….that’s just the way I live. But, I know I can do more. I sat down and started watching a whole bunch of old Martha Stewart shows from way back in the 90’s. I had never seen them because I was working such long hours back then. So these shows are all new to me. I found them on you-tube if you’re wondering.

I so enjoy how much effort she puts into homekeeping, decorating….you know the whole lifestyle. However, forgive me because I mean no offense but….who is Martha Stewart talking to? Set my table with antique wedgewood….waterford and antique stirling silver? Seriously?

I watched an episode where she is setting up a linen closet with the most gorgeous sheets and towels but…again, antique linens hand embroidered 100 years ago. Hmm….I adore all that stuff but….I don’t have any of it.

My parents don’t have any of it either, so I won’t be inheriting any of it (gee thanks Mom…I’m just kidding)….maybe.

I can do this, I can learn to embroider so I can have those lovely linens….I will need to get my sewing skills in order to sew my own linens but I can do that too! I found a great price on fine linen fabric from Joanns fabrics. I can’t pay $1100 for a hand embroidered top sheet but I sure can make it myself! My gosh can you just imagine that conversation with Hubby? “Uhm…honey, I spent $1100 on a sheet. No, sweetheart don’t be angry…it’s worth it because the embroidery a hundred years old!!! No, I haven’t lost my mind!!!” “Yes, I kept the receipt….”

Yup, If I want that kind of finery I will have to make it myself. Did you notice my chat with Hubby in the above paragraph was only my side of the conversation? That’s because his side would not be suitable for a family friendly blog post. I will not be purchasing $1100 sheets. Though the up side is think of all the money I will save on acid free paper!! (Martha layered her fine linens in acid free paper) just in case you missed that episode.

Every year, I buy my Christmas cards at Target. I’ve always been perfectly happy with that. I never thought about ordering hand engraved hand colored Christmas cards. Though Martha’s are lovely (seriously) I will be making my own Christmas cards this year. I’m really excited about it actually. We ordered the supplies from a company called Stampin up. I designed a card myself. Mrs. Homeowner did too. We are doing this project together. It’s going to be so much fun!!!

I became fascinated with monograms. Do you have any idea what it costs to have glasses or frankly anything else monogramed??? It’s a mortgage payment!!! I will be stopping at Pier One to select some glasses that I like the shape of…then I will use the glass etching kit from the craft store and poof….lovely monogrammed glasses to set my table.

I want this farm to be like the farm of my dreams….I will make it just that way….one DIY project at a time. I will have that stack of spectacular linens….I can hand paint simple white plates to create something really special.

I can go to the local antique stores and flea markets, I can refinish furniture to fit this farm perfectly. Anyone can just go out and buy gorgeous things (that’s really more a figure of speech) I truly think the delight will come from having created my finery right here with my family and friends.

It’s not likely I will have that antique wedgewood to leave to my kids….but I do believe that all these treasures made by hand with love will mean so much more to them. That’s good enough for me.

I’m going to show you the two embroidery projects I’ve done so far…please be gentle. I’m just learning and will not stop until I have the skills I need for my linens (and my daughters back pack). Don’t laugh too hard….

My first French tea towel.

My first French tea towel.

It’s full of mistakes because I had no idea what I was doing….  You can see I got a bit better toward the top.  I got the tea towels at Hobby Lobby.

My first monogram

My first monogram

This will be so much fun!!!  I told the barnyard animals….as usual, they were not impressed.

17 Responses to Creating what I want working with what I have…

1. Lori says:

Practice makes perfect, hun. You are doing just fine. Before you know it, you’ll be embroidering with one hand and stirring the soup with the other!

You are on your way to making your home your dream!

3. silverilex says:

Since your love went into each stitch of your embroidery, it is perfect for your family and your home. In our home, we value our homemade handmade items a lot more than store bought ones. The times that stick in my mind most are the times I’ve sat down with my husband and children to make things for our home or gifts for family and friends. Do what you love and be happy.

4. Susan J says:

I think you are doing an excellent job for a beginner! Don’t let your own mind put up barricades! I can just imagine your little pig with a hand embroidered bandana! (You know, there are a ton of great ideas on Pinterest! If you have time to kill online!)
    And, I’m so glad you are back!

5. Brenda says:

It looks wonderful to me! Martha is a little unreal 😀 I have a question. On one of your videos long ago, the one of the tour of your kitchen, you had a 5 gallon bucket of whole wheat. How long does it take you to use it up? I haven’t opened mine yet. I make bread three times a week. Thanks!

I would be thrilled if I could do what you did. Looks good to me. I have nothing I have made to hand down to my children. )-:

7. carolyn schwartz says:

Looks Good!

8. norma says:

Your skills will continue to improve, it is like baking, practice, practice. practice. I think it is great. Hugs!

9. Nancy Villanueva says:

Honey, I am proud to say that you have mastered everything that you put your mind to. Enjoy the journey! Mom

10. Teresa W says:

Yes, these items will be treasures for your children one day. Last year we cleaned out my in-laws home. My mother-in-law had passed away and my father-in-law was moving in with us. My husband’s sister gathered up a lot of the material things there, which was fine with me. What I wanted the most were the pillowcases I knew she had embroidered and some of the afghans she had crocheted. They are worth more than anything else.
    You are doing great! Before long, you will have the farm of your dreams. I love following you as you create it.

11. Dianne says:

I think your embroidery is lovely; if you made “mistakes,” they don’t show. The monogram is especially nice.

BTW – Your writing style rocks! When you’ve exhausted all the crafts ideas, you might consider writing a book. :-)

12. Mary says:

If it makes you feel any better, Martha Stewart’s daughter wrote a book and in it she said that Martha used to hide on Halloween. She used to turn all the lights out and pretend they weren’t home. I thought that was so funny. Just goes to show you how unrealistic the things she demonstrates are. It’s possible to pick out one or two of her projects to do, but no one can create that entire lifestyle that she portrays.

13. Debra says:

Your handmade things will be PRICELESS! They will have all your loving talent embedded in them. You inspire me. thank you

14. Karen in OH says:

That’s how you do it! One DIY at a time. It can be so satisfying to see what one has created instead of just buying it. Handwork of all kinds can be very relaxing, too. Good luck with your endeavors, and hope you keep sharing with us. Looks like you’ve got the embroidery figured out already! Very nice work!

Thank you very much! I love embroidery….I already started another project. Having refined my focus has really gotten me so excited! I will share my exploits all along the way. Thank you so much for enjoying them with me :)

I’m just seeing this! WOW think your doing great keep it up!!!