Please pardon my “yelling” I’m just really excited.  When we lived in Florida we lived in a city so hatching our own eggs was not a possibility (the risk of hatching roosters was too high).  Roosters are not allowed in urban areas for those of you who may not know the rules.  I had already pushed the boundaries as it was…. a rooster would have done me and my tiny farm in.

One of the first things I wanted to have when we moved here was my very own rooster.  I have always found them to be the most glorious looking birds.  I love the way they strut.  I am one of the few people I know who really enjoys the crowing….all day long.  I just adore it.  It’s my daily reminder that my dream of living in the country has come true.

I have a borrowed egg incubator (thank you sooo much Mrs. Homeowner!).  We incubated 18 eggs and were able to hatch 16 of them.  Two of them went rotten and smelled so badly it caused a gag almost every time I walked near the incubator.  I had no idea what the cause of the smell was (even though it was one of those smells that you could actually see)…. Mrs.  Homeowner came over to see the babies hatching and was kind enough to take the 2 eggs away.  I guess the weird fluid that had gathered on top of the eggs should have been my first clue….it wasn’t.  The stench should have been a clue too….nope.  I was so scared to throw away a live baby chick in waiting that I just put up with the smell.  Hey, you live….you learn.  In this case, you gag…you learn.

Anyway, check out this video.  It has the cutest ending.  Don’t worry, we have the video running at double speed so you won’t have to sit for an hour to watch a chick find its way from its shell.

It’s the simply things people!  Something so simple can bring such joy.  After a long time not being well, I’ve learned to embrace the simple.  I’ve never been happier.  Join me won’t you?

My cousin said there is a fancy super speedy way to load videos onto my blog but said I have to wait for him to tell me because he’s very busy watching football.  Sigh.  I did the best I could for right now.  Gosh, I wish I had a super technical mind!!!!  I don’t.  Maybe the opposite.

Anyway, how about that sweet little chick falling asleep at the end???  He was totally exhausted after making his big entrance.  What is cuter than a new born chick? Not much.

Happy Sunday!

19 Responses to The eggs hatched!!!!! Check out my video…

Loved It SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!! How sweet is that!!!!

2. Teresa W. says:

Just in case you have not been told her, hatching is an addiction. You will find every excuse to hatch chicks for yourself, then start offering to hatch for others. Soon you will be ordering hatching eggs online ( I have friends who seen them). When you decide to buy your own incubator, just go ahead and get a big one.youwill need it!
    I am just so happy for you and glad you are really starting to feel well again.

I think you’re right….I love just knowing babies are coming. I’m already setting myself up to hatch more eggs and these babies are still fluffy and soooo tiny. You make a great point about the incubator, I told my husband we would need a bigger one. I’m so glad you see this the same way I do!!!! :)

• Teresa W says:

A coworker is raising quail and just bought an incubator. I tried to warn her, too. She has one that will hold 120 quail eggs. She is really going to have an addiction! Have fun watching these little ones growing, knowing you truly had them from the very beginning,

3. Nancy Villanueva says:

Happy birthday little chickie. I’m glad your having so much fun Tam, keep up the good work.

4. Patty says:

It wouldn’t play for me. I am going to keep trying.

It’s hard work getting out of that shell. What breed? I’m with you. I love my roosters. I love in a neighborhood so I have Serama pairs and trios in cages in my house. I love their crows. They may be tiny but they are full of attitude.

That particular chick is a buff Orpington. In that clutch of eggs I have buffs, black osterlorps, old English and silkies. Oh my, I think I have a serious spelling error on the black osterlorps. Sorry about that. I have no idea how to spell that :)
      You have chickens inside? Ok, I love that,!!!! Are they friendly?

• Jo Ann says:

Yes, they are strictly pets. Seramas are the smallest breed of chickens. My roosters weigh max at 21oz and my smallest hen is 8.4oz. This is full grown. :) To me it’s no different from my sister who has a parrot living in her house.

6. Karen in OH says:

Oh, so much hard work getting out of that shell! You just want to help the poor little thing. And then the little darlin’ is totally worn out! This is wonderful. Thank you, Tamara, for posting. I’ve never seen wee chicks hatching. Congrats on your success!

I’m telling you watching them hatch is sooo exciting. I was riveted all day. They break from the shell and then take a long nap. Every one of the chicks did that. I wanted to help them too but was told that the work they do in breaking out by themselves helps them clear their lungs from the fluid found inside the egg. It was all I could do to not help a little.

7. norma says:

how exciting! I am so happy for you!

How funny!! I told my husband he looked drunk by the time he got out. Then he just went to sleep. Hahaha!!! I bet the kiddos loved it.

9. Sharon says:

I so love chickens, especially as young as I can get them so that they imprint on me. I’ve had several hens in my past who have literally fought over my lap to lay their eggs in/on….had to put a fresh egg beside me to keep them from continuing to try to push the other off my lap so they’d be able to use the “big” human nest. So funny and dear. I’ll have to send a much longer comment in the future to explain why I don’t have any “girls” now, but hopefully next spring…. Meanwhile, thank you so much for your blog posts, as they fill me up in a very good way!

Omg that’s amazing!! I’ve not tried to get them to lay on me but now I want them to do it!!! How on earth did you get them to do that? Gosh I thought mine liked me but now…..hmmmm. I’m going outside to have a chat with these hens! :)