I have been rather quiet these days because the horrible cold I have been suffering with has morphed into a sinus infection that leaked into my ears and became a middle ear infection.  I cannot over-estimate the pain!  Even worse…poor Hubby has the same infection and is at work this evening suffering beyond belief.  I now know why a child with an ear infection screams at the top of their lungs.  I have been tempted to do the same several times today.  I didn’t because I think the sound would simply kill me.

My oldest child has been my little helper and for that I am beyond thankful.  She makes a lovely cup of tea with lemon.  She has also been bringing me hot towels to hold to the side of my head.  My little one tries to help too…..her help does end with me almost in tears from the pain but hey….she’s trying.

One of my little ones teachers came to visit the farm today with her delightful Hubby.  Yes, of course she offered to re-shedule due to my misery but I thought that the distraction would be nice and it was.  They are chicken enthusiasts too!  It was such a nice visit.  The goats were almost well-behaved as were the hens.  I say almost because let’s face it there was a goat butting a hen….and hens sneaking over the fence to reach my growing swiss chard.  They have found it and mow it right down on me!   So far I am not getting any chard.  They are not just feathered thieves they are greedy too!

The garden is going so nicely for us.  So far so good.  I am loaded up with all sorts of tomato plants and so far not one  cut worm has come to ruin things for us.  We do have our fingers crossed.

Here are a few photos of the farm today….

Greens growing in wine boxes…a great idea if the boxes are up high and away from the hens and the crazy pig….ours are not so…

The snapdragons are blooming!!!!! I just love them….as do the bees and butterflies.

The garden is my happy place…except my hydro system is down :(

Ahh…my orchid room….my other happy place. Penelope the pigs just loves it out there!

Amish paste tomatoes growing along side Italian plum tomatoes…lots of them….I have canning on my mind!

Lots of fresh turnip greens!!!! Sautéed with garlic, lemon and crushed red peppers….yum!

cucumbers, more tomatoes (fancy heirloom varieties), herbs and peppers….oh and beans….

I wish you all the best New Year EVER!!!!!!  Health, happiness and peace…for us all.

One last thing, My dear friend Kamar gave birth today to a very healthy baby boy.  I’m so happy for them.  Congratulations Kamar!!!!  There is nothing like giving birth for the first time…..makes you wonder how a second time ever happens (I am just kidding…sort of).

16 Responses to Today on the tiny farm….

My goodness you all are really having it. I know you will be so glad to feel good again. I am sure your hubby will be glad when all of you are on the mend.

Sickness hit my 3 grandsons too starting CHRISTmas Eve. One would get better then another one. The oldest and the last started his yesterday. Sure hope no one else gets it. They all seem better. It has been nothing like you all have been through.

PRAY you are all well very soon.

Nice pics of your farm and garden.

2. Oh, so sorry you are under the weather (to put it mildly!) Hope you can get rid of this sooner, rather than later.

LOVED the picture of the goat face-planted in the hay feeder. lol And I love your orchid room!

Hope you have a very happy and prosperous New Year!

I thank you so much. The animals are so much fun to have around. They force me out of my sick bed which is nice. I go out and get fresh air looking after them. As I write this Penelope the pig is running all over the house! She is a true delight. Happy New Year to You!!!!! :)

3. Rosalyn says:

Tamatha everything looks beautiful! And our yard is swallowed in snow (which is beautiful too, but a little less conducive to growing things…). I hope that you’re feeling better soon and that you have a wonderful and blessed new year in 2013!

Oh, I know! You live pretty far north. Did that last blizzard hit you? I miss how pretty snow is but I don’t think I am prepared to live with it anymore. I wish you a wonderful New Year :) Filled with joy and good health.

4. Deborah says:

Will you have more space for your totatoes? They seem pretty small yet but as they grow they might need more room. I know each of my tomatoe plants get really big and thick stemmed. Are yours a special type? Just wondering; and the basil sure is pretty.

The tomatoes are 12 inches apart. They look closer in the picture. I rig up a trellis system between all the bamboo supports. It works great and keeps out the weeds. I have some other types of tomatoes growing in pots. I have stuff growing everywhere. I cant help myself. :) I mix hers and flower together…the bees love it!

5. Alyssa Ozzi says:

I enjoyed the pics but someone is missing from those pics! I am missing my little piggie!:(

This pig is a true highlight! She plays with the dogs!!!! She chases charlie around the house and he loves it! Then he chases her both with tails wagging!! Alyssa you NEED a pig! You and I could have pig play dates….. I would call you but I can’t hear. This infection has been a total disaster for me these two weeks. PLEase get a pig!!!! I need Penelope to have a pig friend…..feeling guilty yet? feeling an urge to buy a pig? Is it working? :)

6. Mark says:

Hey, those SOFLO, no snow, startin’-to-grow veggies are looking great down there! Not even middle of January and you’ve already got me excited about planting here in the cold and snowy plains. I’ve been looking through seed catalogs and will soon be ready to order. One thing I’m intrigued about is a new grafted tomato plant with an heirloom scion and a heartier rootstock…something different anyway.
    Hope you recover soon from your malady…and regards to the little piggie who stayed home.

Yup, tomatoes setting on the vine….cucumbers….peppers….onions….herbs…..greens…..lots more. Yours is coming. Mothers Day will be here before you know it! What the name of this grafted heirloom you speak of? May I give it a try? The piggy is a delight. Can’t wait for you to meet her!!!!

• Mark says:

Territorial Seeds is selling a grafted Brandywine plant, among other plants and seeds, this year.
        I’ve been getting their catalog for years and approve that they have signed the Safe Seed Pledge.
        …and I’ll try anything new at least once.
        Heck, I’d even kiss a pig for the first time…if I could find one cute enough!

Hey that sounds great! Would you let me know how that works for you so I can order my one for our next growing season? I don’t think I have time to order ship and start at this point.

Oh, you will kiss this pig. She is such a sweetheart! I think your sister kissed her. She’s hard to resist. I will admit right now that I have kissed her many many times :). She’s so sweet!