This is a sad post for me.  I need to be quick about it because I still have so much baking to do as the homemade goodies are being given here there and everywhere as gifts.  I will elaborate further when I have a few moments to myself to breath.  All of that said, we are canceling Christmas Eve for the first time in ten years!!!!

Let me explain….first my Mother-in-law had to fly home to look after her sweetheart who fell terribly sick (with a perforated bleeding ulcer).  Then my poor Dad came down with a terrible flu….then my little wee one starting running a fever and a terrible cough…then my throat started really hurting….Hubby called to say he feels like he’s fighting something…..That was it.

Sometimes you have to admit when you are beat.  You have to accept when life has other ideas for you.  This is one of those times.  As much as I love love love Christmas this year we need to heal up and get back on our collective feet.  Can I tell you a little secret?  I have been so busy doing…going…shopping…baking….delivering….I am actually ok with slowing down and taking a break. Even though it’s Christmas Eve the flu and various germs have gotten to almost all of us.

I feel guilty because I have close friends who I had to cancel on.  One of whom is pregnant and just about ready to deliver.  If we caused her to get the flu I would really feel awful.  I think we are doing the right thing…it just feels really really lousy.

I have so many recipes to share with you all.  I have been baking at a clip that has not allowed me to take the step by step photos I usually do.  However, I do have finished photos with recipes that are fantastic to share.  Why can’t I juts fit an extra 2 hours into each day????  Sigh.

I hope you are all feeling so much better than we are around here.

Oh, a quick update….The goats are starting to go into heat with almost enough regularity that maybe a date will be possible to schedule.  The hens have finished molting and have begun laying again!!!!  Finally!!!!!  I was so miserable without my pile of fresh eggs.  While my girls were not laying I was spending $5 a dozen for eggs that were not even as good as mine.  I’m telling you once you have your own eggs from your own hens it’s impossible to go back to purchased eggs.

Finally, Ms. Penelope is back to full health, she is so much fun to have around.  We bought her a new bed for the kitchen which she adores and we gave her a litter box in the corner in the dining room (when the dining room is in use the box is removed).  With that we have no potty mistakes!!!!  The breeder told us to make sure Penelope gets lots of social time…that it would make all the difference in her personality.  She was right!  Penelope visits the children at school and loves it!  She rubs us and cuddles with us.  She sleeps at my feet like a puppy.  Her oinks are beyond charming.

We don’t feel so good right now but it does not matter.  We are having a ball.  Cheese from my home milked goats will soon be possible….the veggies are starting to come in from the garden….even sick we are so very lucky.

Look at Ms. Penelope….by the way, this photo was taken by my very good friend Alyssa Ozzi.  It’s a great shot.

The lovely Ms. Penelope

15 Responses to Oh no….so many of us are sick!!!! The party on Christmas Eve is cancelled!!!!!

Oh, no!!! You all have really had a time with sickness lately. I sure hope you get all better and soon. It is no fun to be sick anytime, but sure not during a special time.

I can only imagine what you are cooking now. Yummy I am sure.

Miss Penelope is looking mighty good. A little popular I see. I am sure the kids love having her at school.

Did you see on your last post that I made your Italian Bakery butter Cookies? Hubby loved them with chocolate on them.

Hopefully an extra day of rest will help all of you.

This school year has been a real mess with the colds. Those children just keep passing them back and forth…I’m played out flat! The poor baby has a terrible cough. I’m am looking forward to having us all back on our feet. May these colds and flu’s stay away from your door. They are no fun at all. :(

2. Pat says:

I’m so sorry you’re all sick! I’ve been having severe allergy problems all month and yes, my usual Christmas “to do’s” have been cut way back. I know how you feel about canceling Christmas Eve, but I think it’s best. I hope that your family can rest and heal.

Merry Christmas!

Pat

I think so too. I felt terrible at first but I know that sharing this cold was not the right thing to do. I hope you feel better soon. Merry Christmas and warm wishes for a wonderful New Year…with less allergies :). That’s no fun.

3. Alyssa Ozzi says:

I am glad you ar “resting” but I did not mean for you to do it this way:/ I am still off too:(, good side I will lose weight for the holidays instead of gaining it;) Hope everyone feels better. As far as that pig goes, she is very photogenic, you can not help but get great pics of her! Give her a Christmas snuggle and kiss for me:)

Oh my, I sure hope you are feeling better. You poor thing I felt terrible for you. I just have a nasty cold. As does hubby and baby. My nose feels as though it will fall off! I’m so tired. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Alyssa. Ours was quiet but sweet…ok quiet except for the sneezing and coughing!

4. Bobbi says:

Oh my! I sure do hope you all get better! At least you are cancelling. I went to a party last night and several people were sick. My immune system is not good so I am drinking lots of apple cider vinegar and honey water today in hopes that I can keep it away.

And think of it this way, you can stay in your pj’s all day long and not have to get dressed. Just relax the whole day with your family.

Oh yes, I could not have so many come to be exposed to this horrid cold. That’s not a great gift. Does the apple cider vinegar work? Hmmm….I love home remedies. How do you do it? I would love to try it next time. Thanks so much.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for a lovely New Year Bobbi :)

I’m so sorry to hear you all are sick, but taking time to slow down isn’t a bad thing at all. I made my Christmas Eve dinner last night as my family had to get back to their families. I’m just thankful they were able to be here at all. It was the first time in years. Dinner was a slow roasted grassfed standing rib roast, my once a year crockpot potatoes and cabbage and squash. Easy meal as everything except the veggies cook by themselves.

When I start coming down with something I take Zinc 50mg and Vitamin C 1000mg twice a day. Knocks it right out.

I hope you feel better. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Thank you so much! your menu sounds divine!!! Might you share your crock pot potato dish? It sounds so comforting and yummy. How nice you were able to have your family gather together for such a nice meal.

Merry Christmas Jo Ann….I wish you blessings for a wonderful New Year too! :)

• Jo Ann says:

These potatoes are so easy, since I only make them once a year I’ve never changed the recipe even though there are some processed ingredients.

2 packages fresh diced potatoes and onions
        1 onion chopped and sautéed in 1 stick of butter
        1 package bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
        8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
        1 can Cream of Celery Soup
        1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
        2 cups Sour Cream

Put everything except the sour cream in the crockpot and cook until potatoes are done. Then stir in the sour cream and let heat through.

If there are leftovers, these potatoes go great with fresh eggs the next morning.

Sounds like you’re living my Christmas last year! My son-in-law came with a raging bout of flu and proceeded to give it to all of us. I could barely lift my head for Christmas to watch my grandson open presents, then, it was back to bed! We’re big on Emergen-C, but other than that, treat the symptoms and don’t feel guilty–Life Happens! Merry Christmas, XOXO

No fun. None. I will have to try that, they sell it at our Walgreens. Thank you. I’m just exhausted. I wish you a very merry Christmas…and perfect health too! :)

HO NO NO! so so sorry your sick. I was told your mom is sick also maybe she got it from dad.its most sad when the kids get it.I hope you all will be fine really soon! loved the card thank you.