Before we get to the recipe (which is awesome) I wanted to take care of a little house keeping…..

First, Thank you all for caring so much about sweet Penelope (the pig). Just this evening she started to get her legs back!!!  We are so thankful!  She is not walking well, but she is able to get up and take a few steps at a time.  We cheered so loudly we startled her!  I’m telling you that this little pig has been such a joy to have with us.  If you are thinking a micro mini pig might be a good fit for your family I can say that we adore her!

The house….we are at about 80% complete on the decorations at this point.  It feels so good to see all the lights sparkling.  As this is the first year we have a real front porch we are really doing it up!  It’s almost done and then I will post the pictures.  Let’s just say if Santa has trouble finding our house it wont be from lack of trying to get his attention!!!

Lastly….tomorrow (December 7th) is my birthday.  I have decided that I am going to be 27.  I have felt no need to explain my thoughts on that any further….I simply announced it and left it there.  Yes I heard the comments from my loved ones saying things like “yeah sure”…”not even close”….(my real age will be 42).  In my head I feel 27.  So who am I bothering (other than my oldest child who seems annoyed by it…which makes it so much the better) ?  So with that, I announce to you that I will be 27ish.  :)  In truth I have no desire to be younger….I have learned so much over these 42 years….I refuse to give that up!    I just like the sound of 27, besides….I’ve had two kids.  Things were higher and tighter when I was 27.  I’m just saying…

Anywho….Let’s bake some holiday goodies!!!  This cake can be baked as one full size bunt cake or 2 full size loaves (which is what I did tonight) or 4 mini loaves.  Wrap them and give them as gifts.  They are that good and totally worthy.  You will see I did not glaze them yet. When giving the cakes as gifts I prefer to make the glaze and give it with the cake not on it.  It’s so much neater looking.  That’s up to you though.

Homemade Eggnog Pound cake ~ Tamatha Mavraides

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

2 sticks of butter softened

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar (not tightly packed)

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup best quality eggnog

Here we go….

Line your loaf pans (if using) with parchment paper and then spray with oil spray).  Heat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.  Set aside.

In the work bowl of your standing mixer cream the butter and sugars together.

Add the eggs one at a time.  Mixing well after each egg.  Then add the vanilla and mix well.

Next add the sour cream.  Mix well again.

Alternate adding the eggnog with the dry ingredients.  Give the batter a good mix and stop.  Do not over mix.  Nobody likes a tough cake.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pans (tap the pans on the counter to release any bubbles) and bake until a cake tester comes out clean.  Today I made 2 full size loaves.  It took about 75 minutes to bake them.  The time will change based on the size of the pans.

Remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.  When the cakes are totally (COMPLETELY) cool you can wrap them in any gorgeous wrapping of your choice.  When I am giving my food gifts away I will share my favorite ways to wrap up the goodies.

Or you can simply cool the cakes and get a knife.  No judgment here!  This is simply scrumptious.  Period.  This cake tastes like Christmas..the eggnog and the nutmeg shine without being too much.  It looks so simple then fills your mouth with moist buttery eggnogy goodness.  YUM.

Enjoy!

19 Responses to The Holiday Collection ~ Homemade Eggnog Poundcake….it tastes like Christmas….

This looks so delicious!!! I would like a slice now!! Haha!!

Thank goodness Penelope is starting to be back to her wee little self. I bet she will even be much better by tomorrow. Poor thing!!

Anxious to see your pictures.

2. Norma says:

Hi,

Mama trauma……animals are like children……one minute they are down and out, then they are well. I hope your’s is a quick event.

When we have had to assist a dog or cat in pottying or walking, we put a towel or a long piece of fabric under their belly. Take the two ends around heir side and the ends are on top above their backs….we went for lengths where we didn’t have to stoop over. This give them help in standing and keeps your hands clear.

You are in my prayers. Ask your vet about some emergency things….unflavored pedilyte for dehydration, peroxide for accidental poisioning, mineral oil for foreign objects. We have kept some items just in case. Several times we had them and stared treatment on the way yo the vet.

Have a blessed Christmas and all the good things that go with it.

I can’t thank you enough. I will do exactly that. I wish you a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year. Penelope is doing so much better. We are so happy to see her back on her feet!!! :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!hope this year is even better them last! thank God miss Penelope is doing well.so enjoy your birthday today is your day.

4. Bobbi says:

So happy for Penelope (and you). Animals are family too. Yummy looking cake and happy birthday! I turned “27” (53)yesterday! ;)

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Birthdays are such special days even though every year I think I’m just too young to be this old!

Second, such good news about Penelope. Isn’t it funny how we get so invested with lives we’ve never met? May she continue to thrive.

Merry Christmas HO HO HO!

Jo

Thank you so much! :) Penelope is doing so much better!!! She looks great. Oinking her little head off! We adore her! Merry Christmas to you and all you those love. :)

6. Teresa says:

I’m glad to know Penelope is feeling better. I still haven’t told my husband much about her. If I do, I have a feeling we may be adding a micro mini pig to our family in the future. I would love it, but right now, there is just too much going on!
    I just may have to make this cake for my best friend (and the keeper of our flock of chickens). She loves anything with eggnog in it and I know she would go crazy over this. It may be part of my weekend baking. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next! Something chocolate?

I vote yes!!! Everybody needs a sweet little mini pig! We are having so much fun with her. She is doing so much better. We are so thankful. This cake is just so good. I hope you love it! I will be doing lots with chocolate shortly. I have chocolate babka and panattone coming soon :) YUM

7. Tonya says:

Made the cake tonight and we love it! I will be making these along with a lemon pound cake and a gingerbread cake from another website to give as gifts this Christmas. Thanks for the great recipe!

That’s wonderful thank you so much! By the way, you can add a rum and butter soak to turn it into a rum cake. That’s also yummy because the adult version of eggnog is spiked with rum. So so good!!! :)

• Tonya says:

Thank you — i will try that too! Love making cakes for Christmas! Usually people get cookie platters from others but very few cakes. I love that they will freeze, too!

I agree! I wish you a lovely time baking and sharing. Isn’t it such fun!!! The only problem I find is not enough time to enjoy it all. I love to offer cookies, cakes and sweet breads. I will be making panettone and stollen shortly….it’s all so good….it’s hard to stop. :) Merry Christmas.

8. Diane Balch says:

We made this loaf it was wonderful. We served it with vanilla bean ice cream and a butterscotch carmel sauce.

9. […] Oh my!  Have you ever visited the A Flock in the City blog?  If not, go over and check it out.  It’s one that I enjoy being a subscriber to.  In addition to farm musings, humor, and daily life, she shares some fantastic recipes.  As a matter of fact, the recipe that I am making today came from this blog post. […]