Well…the cold that has plagued my kids has flared up again.  I had to keep them both home today because their little noses were running all over the place.  YUCK!!!  My little one while in the middle of chatting up a storm walked right over to me and wiped her nose on my sleeve like that was a perfectly acceptable solution to her nose problem.  I was surrounded by people who all chose that moment to look at me and made quick work of making “the face” at me.  You know the one….the face you get when people who have no kids proceed to look at you like you have not idea how to raise civilized children.  Sigh.  Well, since they were looking at me like that anyway and she missed a spot I finished the job with my other sleeve as she had already used up my little packet of tissues I keep in my purse.  I have three more in my car but alas I was not in my car soooo……  I’ve decided I am done caring what other people think.

It’s a new leaf for me as I seem to suffer from wanting to make people happy while I wear myself down to a nub.  So I wiped her runny nose and marched on like it was perfectly normal.  Ok, yes it was gross and I sanitized us both like we just fell into a vat of nuclear waste once in the car but hey….I had my moment walking right past all those judging faces like they didn’t matter a bit.  I once again had the talk with my little one who is only 3 by the way, about tissues being our best choice for running noses.  She said no, she likes to wipe on Mommy and I just left it there.  I figure I have never met a 30-year-old woman who still wipes her nose on her Moms sleeve so it’s not worth the worry.

I started Christmas shopping this weekend and am so excited.  I have troubles not giving the gifts away too early then needing new gifts! I really need to grow up.  Maybe next year…..

The vegetable garden is getting going now, tomatoes are on the vines…peppers are too.  Fresh herbs are reaching usable size and I’m ready to plant my next batch of goodies this week.  I try to spread the planting out so I don’t have everything ready to go at once.  Down here in South Florida we don’t have root cellars so storage can be a problem.  I am working on finding just the right planting strategy to keep us in fresh veggies without over flowing and ending up with veggies rotting on the vines.  It’s a work in progress.

Now, the Christmas music is playing….the meat sauce for tonight’s pasta is simmering slowly and the dough for the garlic knots is rising.  Penelope the pig is getting more comfortable walking around the kitchen while we cook.  The dogs want to give her a very complete once over which we keep stopping.  The dogs are so frustrated with us!  They sniff that poor pig so hard I worry she will get stuck to their noses!!!!

At one point Abby (our big dog) was sniffing at her little pig butt and she lifted her tail and pee shot out,  Abby got it right in the face!  Penelope turned around to see what happened and stood her ground…she oinked and walked away leaving Abbey covered in pee and a little shocked.  Ok,  yes there was a mess involved but the laugh was worth it. I laughed so hard I thought I might have the same problem the pig had.  Minus the dog of course.   Abby no longer wants to sniff the business end of that pig.  See, problem solved.  My mother-in-law seems to be taking the dogs side in all this.  Oh well…..I asked the pig to apologize but…..

Now let’s bake some garlic knots shall we?  (yes, there was a time lapse while writing this post).

Homemade Garlic knots  ~ Tamatha Mavraides

1 3/4 cups of warm water

1 tablespoon instant yeast

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 cups bread flour

2 cups all-purpose flour

4 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons fine sea salt

Here we go….

In the bowl of your standing mixer mix your flours, and salt. Combine well.  Then add the olive oil.

In a large measuring cup add the water, sugar and yeast.

Turn the mixer on and add the water/yeast mixture to the flours.  Knead until a smooth dough forms (about 5 minutes).

On a lightly floured surface turn the dough out and form into a nice smooth ball.

Move the dough to your rising bowl that has been lightly sprayed with oil and rest the dough (covered with plastic) for about an hour or until doubled in bulk.

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.

Once the dough has doubled gently release the gas from the dough and shape into a rectangle.

Cut the rectangle into strips about 1/2″wide for larger knots and less than that for smaller.  Tie the strips into a knot and place them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.

When you are done with all the strips of dough cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with oil and allow to rise for about 20 minutes.  If you space is cold it may take longer.

Bake the rolls for about 15 minutes (until nicely golden).  Roll the tops of the rolls in the garlic mixture.  Then once all the rolls have been dipped into the mixture spoon over a bit of the garlic herbs over the top of each one.  Lastly, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Serve warm.

Garlic oil topping

6 cloves garlic crushed with a garlic press

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1  teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper

pinch of crushed red pepper

1/2 cup olive oil

freshly ground parmesan cheese

Into a large bowl combine the oil and the spices.  Give it a very good mix.  Transfer the oil spice mixture to a small saucepan.  When the garlic just starts to lightly brown add the butter and take the pan off the heat.  Set aside until the rolls are baked.  Transfer the oil/butter mixture back to the bowl so you can dip them easily.

Enjoy!!! These are extremely good.   You will make these over and over again.  Garlic breath for everybody!!!!

18 Responses to Thanksgiving is all packed up…the oven is hot….homemade garlic knots to go with tonights pasta

1. Pat says:

I am sitting here drooling…and I just finished having dinner. I can’t wait to try these! I know my kids and the grands will love them.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Pat

LOL, Yes but how can you be blamed for drooling….its garlic and olive oil butter and CHEESE!!!! They are so tender and scrumptious….darn, now I’m drooling!!!! I hope you love them.

2. Rosalyn says:

Um, yum. I cannot wait to have these! They might be made every two days!! Thanks Tamatha! xoxo

My hubby would love these.

What a funny story about the pig and the dog. I am sure you got the laugh of the day with that one.

I could just picture you wiping your babies nose and walking by those snobby folks. FUNNY!!! I sure hope they feel better soon. No fun to have sick little ones, for them or you.

4. Wendy says:

Thanks for me making me laugh with your wonderfull humorous stories. While me being down because since yesterday I gained 400 gramm (NO idea why,really no cheating here) your blog is my perfect medicine. And that at 6.00 am (live in the Netherlands)!

I love to read your recipes and really want to try them all and I will…some day, when the scale and I agree.

In Holland we first have Sinterklaas at the 5th of December. So now I bake pepernoten and speculaasjes. Not for me but for the boys (9 and 10 year).

After that we head to Christmass. My husband is from Austria so then I must bake Weihnachtkeckse and Apfelbrot.

I fear it will take a long time till the scale and I agree again :(

But then…. I will make your wunderfull dishes, cakes and garlic knots!

Groetjes,
    Wendy

The Netherlands!!!!! Welcome to my tiny piece of the word!!!! I’m so glad you enjoy the fun here on the tiny farm. I am so curious, I will have to look up those treats you mentioned. Calories don’t count this time of year. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it! :)

5. The reason she’s using your sleeve is that it’s CLOTH instead of that nasty paper (shredded tree!) on her poor sore nose. Try cloth handkerchiefs and I’ll bet it fixes the problem. And you can make them out of any cloth – repurposed or otherwise. Make them about 4″ square. Don’t bother to make them fancy. Just make a lot of them. Fold them up and place in a packet. Use like tissue. Then when used, place in a small bag – just like you would for a dirty diaper. Toss in washer, wash, rinse, repeat use. It’s no more “dirty or nasty” than using a tissue – which is actually a lot thinner than cloth.

The pig story is a hoot. That oink meant: “I TOLD you, you do it again and you’d be sorry! Now KNOCK. IT. OFF!” lol

Pinned the roll recipe. Looks Delicious!

That’s a great idea!!!! It would sure be a better choice than my sleeve!!! I think I will give that a go. :) The animals are really quite a handful, lucky for me I adore them… The recipe is just scrumptious. I hope you enjoy it too.

6. Mich says:

Garlic knots looking good :) may have to rethink this weeks menu plan to make them! Lol. Poor kids hope get better asap. But hey I don’t have kids…I would of hooted with laughter, mind u if they had grabbed my sleeve I would of run! :P

LOL, I see..you don’t have kids so you have free time and silence when you want it. You find things where you left them…and no boogers on your sleeve… Sigh. I was a true mess. I am just crazy for these kids but the boogers are getting to me :)

so funny! hi will try the garlic knots mecca will love them.

8. Jo says:

Call me crazy but dough is a thing of beauty too me!!!

This looks so good!!…I’ll take a dozen!

9. michelle says:

Please call or text me I lost your number and would love to come and visit today if possible.
    michelle

I am so looking forward to your visit. These sweet little goats will melt your heart! Penelope is amazing and the hens…well they are like walking artwork!!! :) See you soon.