Early this morning our micro mini pig breeder called to say she was moments away.  We were so excited!!!!  As she is a stranger to us and we to her we met at the McDonalds parking lot for our “exchange”.  Hubby said we were acting like we were setting up a drug deal.  The breeder brought Penelope over wrapped in a pink flowery blanket.  She said it was Penelope’s favorite.  I sure hope this all works out ok because it was love at first sight!

This little pig is just 5 weeks old.  She still gets milk 4 times per day which she drinks from a bowl.  She dunks her whole tiny head in the bowl and makes the sweetest slurping sound.  We are charmed!!!

Penelope weighs about 2 lbs  or close to it.  Our cat looks huge compared to this tiny creature.  I was reading up on how to train her to use a litter box.  I was ready with all sorts of tricks and techniques.  I am a planner…I had to be ready!  Well, I fed Penelope and placed her in her litter box.  She has used her litter box ever since.  Not one mistake today.  I have never seen an animal learn something so quickly.  I didn’t get to use even one of my “tricks”.  That’s a good thing don’t get me wrong…I just feel like I wasted a lot of time on that.  Had I not planned that way…the pig would probably be peeing all over the place!

We gave her an extra blanket and a stuffed animal to cuddle with.  She wraps herself in the blanket so all you see is a pig shaped lump in her little house.  She sleeps right next to the stuffed animal.  I am beyond charmed by this sweet little pig.  She oinks and is just cracks me up.  She cuddles like a puppy!  When you scratch her under her chin she wags her tiny little pig tail…OMG!!!! Her little house is in the laundry room that she is politely sharing with another cage with 3 Coo coo moran chicks that are a week old.

I have been on a waiting list for a year to get these chicks.  These hens lay eggs that are so dark brown they are called chocolate egg layers!!!!  We now have 14 hens laying white, green, light brown and now chocolate-brown eggs.  If you are wondering if there is a difference in how they taste the answer is no.  They do however make for a lovely egg basket!

I have so much to be thankful for.  We are all healthy (thank god).  We love our life here on this tiny farm.   I even have tomatoes growing happily on the vine with no giant horn worms trying to steal them from me yet.  I know they are coming…but for now they look great!

Here are a few pictures of our new sweetie….Penelope the pig.

We are so excited!   Daisy the goat may be jealous over this one….I’m not sure I would blame her!

27 Responses to The tiny farm has a new addition and a few honorable mentions.

1. Teresa says:

That is one adorable little pig! If only my dog had been that easy to housebreak…
    I own a flock of chickens with my friend and co-worker. They are at her house, one street over from me. We have a Cuckoo Maran that we got from a hatchery, and she does lay a nice dark egg. We also have two Black Copper Marans and a Blue Copper amaranth that we got from a breeder. She breeds for temperament and egg quality. They should be laying in the next few weeks and I can’t wait to see the color of their eggs. You will probably find the Maran eggs have a richer taste. Many people find they prefer them to others. And they are huge!
    Please be sure to post more pics of Lenelope as she grows,

I love that you and your friend own a flock together. I have been trying to talk anyone who will listen into keeping chickens. It’s so easy and rewarding!!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the morans with me. I will look into getting getting some of the other ones you mentioned. I can’t wait!!!! Chickens are addictive I think.

Don’t worry as Penelope the piglet adjusts to our tiny farm we will have lots more to share. So far she is a doll. Thank you so much for enjoying her too!

• Teresa says:

If you ever have a broody hen and want some hatching eggs to put under her, I can give you a great recommendation for the Marans. You will take the chance of getting a few roosters, but they can be sold pretty easily. This makes the broody hen happy and it is fun watching a hen raise her own chicks (she has no clue you got those eggs from someone else!).

I would love to try to hatch eggs but I am so scared to end up with roosters. We are not allowed to have roosters at all. :( I have to shoo my broody hen off the nest just to make her eat. I worry about her. Thank you so much though….someday I hope to have a few acres and would love love love to hatch some eggs! :)

2. Karen says:

Ahhh…Penelope is simply adorable and a cute name for her too. You’re so fortunate to have such a sweet little pig. I hope she stays as small as they predict.

Thank you very much. So far so good with our sweet little Penelope. She is getting to know me and loves to cuddle. I hope she stays tiny too! I really do. She is so tiny right now that it is a little scary. Just under 2 pounds. :) Thank you for wishing us luck…we need it.

3. Dottie says:

Awww she is just adorable. I can not wait to show the pics to my Granddaughter then again if I do she will keep bugging me to get one too. She loves all little critters as well! Penelope has the cuttest little eyes and lashes and such a cute snout. Will you be dressing her up for the holidays. She needs a little pink dress and some clip on earrings and maybe a little nail polish. Love her little ears. She will have to have a special bonnet as well…..Lol maybe I should think about getting my own!

LOL, I asked Hubby how he felt about dressing her up and he said he has to draw the line somewhere. I said you draw the line AFTER the tiny piglet comes to live with you? LOL :) Her nose is so cute!!!! She sniffs me all day. Her oink oh her oink!!! We are delighted. You would love one of these little piggies…they are so adorable.

4. Alyssa Champagne-Ozzi says:

I am so happy that Penelope is home and not to mention she did not make a liar out of me LOL. I told you how smart and amazing these wonderful little creatures are. I can’t wait to meet and snuggle her:)

I had such a nice day with Penelope. She comes to my hands and lets me rub her. When I scratch her under the chin and belly she falls over and lets me rub her even more. Oh my gosh….I’m in love. :) I can’t wait for you to see her!!!

• Alyssa Ozzi says:

Pricilla used to do the same thing, she used to fall over with her legs stiff as a board snorting happily. She is so teeny you can sneak her in your purse on Tuesday ;)

How funny!!! I am sure she will be cock of the walk for a good while. Yep, your Daisy may get jealous. Haha!! I am not an animal person but she sure is cute. I just adore her PINK blankie.(-:

Every time I think about all your animals on your small acreage I think of all the land we have and not a creature to be found except in the wild of course. We have deer and turkey. Have also heard coyote. I sure hope I don’t see them. Oh, yes, we also think there has been bears around that destroyed my husbands corn.
    )-:

I am so glad your baby is better. Now you keep working on staying well.

If I had what you have I would be overflowing with animals and farmy projects. Oh the envy!!!! (in a good way). Penelope is a delight so far. We are having such fun with her. :)

My kids have been riddled with colds this Fall. I need it to end. The problem is so many kids at school are sick we can’t shake it. Thank you so much for caring about them. I so appreciate it.

6. LUNA says:

OMG…SHE IS PRECIOUS
    WHERE IS A GOOD SOURCE FOR ONE OF THESE
    TINY DARLINGS?

THANKS FOR SHARING
    LUNA

Aw, what a sweet little pig and the name Penelope fits her to a “T”. You really are blessed, XOXO

8. Angela says:

Sooooo sooo cute! OMG now we’ve got to amp up and work towards getting pigs in the next few years. Congrats! She’s just too darling!

Oh, Angela….This is a micro mini pig. You will be adding “real” pigs to your farm. I so wish I could do that!!!! Thank you though…she is a total delight so far.

9. Mark says:

Great….THAT IS JUST GREAT, Tamatha… ! You really started something!! I showed the pictures of Penelope to my wife and now she thinks she wants a little oinker, too!
    She’s a farm girl and had a pig named Palsy-Walsy that she used to ride all over the farmyard (I wish I had a picture of that piggyback ride). Obviously, a pig such as Penelope would have to ride on her all over our backyard.
    Anyhoo, we love your new family member…may she bring you plenty of porcine pleasure.

Good!!!! I think you should have a one of these little sweeties. You will fall in love!!! Your wife will be so happy…your piggy can follow you around your gorgeous garden…oh the fun!!! I never knew you could actually ride a pig…I would love to see that photo myself!!! :)

10. Nancy Villanueva says:

Congratulations Tam, I can’t wait to meet her and welcome her to the family. She is sooooooo cute.

11. Much says:

Pigs always have a bad rep for being dirty but honestly they are so clean. You prob will get more ‘accidents’ trying to house train a puppy! We had a couple of pot bellys as pets (outside) & I have reared weaners for the table too. Pigs are great characters, Wilma pig would of killed her best mate for a stale iced bun! Lol.

• Mich says:

Much?! Haha I knew I should of put my glasses on to write a post!

lol…I am new to needing glasses. All of a sudden I cant read without them. I text hubby without my glasses on and it doesn’t go well lets just say that :)

We are having such a ball with her!!! She goes right into her box but she has made a couple of minor mistakes when she is excited. Pee shoots right out the back of her!!! It’s really kind of funny. :) Her oinks are as cute as can be. Wilma the pig likes iced buns??? YOu just said that and now I could really go for one myself. :)