Well, I took baby to see the doctor today and was told she once again has bronchitis.  She only recovered from bronchitis a few weeks ago, but because the time between infections was too short she is really sick again.  Now.  I know that kids get sick when they are in school and all that stuff but I must say something here….I cannot for the life of me understand why parents insist on bringing sick kids to school.  They know their child is sick.  It’s not a secret or hard to see.  It’s a parent who needs to go to work.  I totally get that.  However, by not arranging for their sick child to stay home and get better they are making countless kids, other parents, other siblings and teachers sick.  Now many parents have this problem instead of the few.

Please excuse me here…I was volunteering a few days ago and was working with a clearly feverish child who looked as though he would fall over any minute.  He should never have been sent to school.  It was early in the morning…his parents knew he was in that condition and sent him anyway.  How many kids are sick now?  I can’t tell you how much I wish we lived in society where a parent could call an employer  and in good faith say please excuse my absence but my child is ill and I must look after them.  We don’t respect the importance of family anymore.  How did we get here?

What is more important than family? Nothing that I can think of.  How much better and more loyal would an employee be if they worked for a company that treated them with the respect to know when they need to be home.  I am lucky enough to be a stay at home Mom.  I never ever send my kids to school sick.  I am aware that is a privilege. I wish being kind and respectful was the norm.   No parent should be forced to send her terribly sick child to school just to be able to keep their job.  Shame on us for tolerating a society that holds family in such low regard.

The first thing anyone who knows me would tell you is that I am a huge supporter of personal responsibility.  HUGE!  I have more objections to where we are as a society than I will ever mention on this blog.  However, I think that a parent being expected to ignore their own child’s well-being just to hang on to a job is obscene.

Now, I’m upset and need a doughnut!!!  I hope beyond words that I have not offended anyone.  That would never be my goal.  I see the problem and just have not idea how to solve it.  I find it terribly frustrating.

Let’s make some doughnuts….we have earned them haven’t we?  I think we have.

Homemade Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts ~ Tamatha Mavraides

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

vegetable shortening for frying

confectioners sugar for dusting

cinnamon if desired

Here we go….

In the work bowl of your standing mixer beat together the egg and the sugar.

Next add the butter, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.  Mix well to combine.

Add the vanilla to the buttermilk.  Add the buttermilk to the work bowl.

Next add the flour. Start with 3 cups and add a little extra if you need it.  The dough should be a bit stiff not really soft.

Cover the dough and rest it in the fridge for 2 hours up to over night.

When you are ready to make the doughnuts, heat the shortening to 375 degrees.

Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out to about 3/4 of an inch thick.  Cut the doughnuts using a doughnut cutter or 2 round cutters one larger than the other.

Fry the doughnuts until they float and are nicely browned on all sides.  Drain them on a rack layered with paper towels.

When the doughnuts are cooked dredge them in powdered sugar or add cinnamon and make cinnamon sugar doughnuts.

Get yourself a cup of coffee, tea or cold milk and have at it!  These make even a sick baby happy.  That’s saying something because she is quite the cranky-puss right now.  She has had a fever of 102 for 3 days.  I NEED this doughnut.

Enjoy!

12 Responses to Homemade Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts

You are right!!! Poor little kids get sent to school when they need to be home. Then others get sick. I know this because I worked at school for 24 years. It is so pitiful to see a little one feel so bad they just lay their head on the table/desk. It is a shame that companies are like they are this day and age.

I sure hope she gets better soon.

Thank you very much. Actually, My older one felt poorly today so I kept them both home. This is a really bad time of year to feel poopy. I hope they can shake this quickly. z-packs all around. Sigh. It will be ok. Thanks for caring. :)

2. Alyssa Ozzi says:

you are sending the leftovers to school with Hailey today, Right????? You know I have had a rough weekend and start to the week! LOL

3. Gerrie says:

I totally agree with you on your rant about society. How did we get this bad?!! Your donuts look great. I’ll try making them this weekend.

Oh my, my weakness–doughnuts! These look amazing and I can see why you needed to make some. It’s a battle for parents to stay home with sick children because their employers don’t recognize that as a valid excuse; but it doesn’t excuse sending them to school and exposing other children to their germs–rant away!!

I know. I feel so bad for getting angry at these parents because in so many cases they really are stuck. I wish I knew a real helpful fair solution. I just don’t. But I am really tired of having my kids come down with bronchitis! Sigh. :(

5. Thanks for sharing this recipe. For those of us whom are lazy, just pat the dough out to a rectangle/square and use a pizza cutter to cut the dough. You can make strips, squares, diamonds; whatever float your boat. Cook the same way. This saves fussing with cutters and re-rolling the dough – which tends to make a quick dough tougher each time it’s rolled out. I do the same thing with biscuits. Pat and slice. Works great.

I agree with you on keeping sick kids home. It’s not always the employers fault, though. I have family members whom seem to think the companies they work for will close their doors if they aren’t there. They are in secure enough positions that they could afford child care for a sick child or even to take a day off, but choose to not do so. They don’t want to “waste” their money on day care when the schools are “free” nor do they want to “waste” a sick day. It’s too sad.

Thats great! I have not tried that but I agree…the lack of a re-roll wold be ideal! As to the sick kids at school…. WOW!!!! Are people really that selfish? How in the world did we become to self absorbed!!!! When your own child being sick is considered a waste of a sick day….we have really gone down a horrible path.

I am really thinking I would enjoy a farm way out of the way….where I wouldn’t need to spend so much time amongst the public. I would be much less disappointed. :(

6. Kathy says:

I totally agree with you about sick kids. In fact, I think it borders on child abuse. If the mission of the schools is truly to educate rather than babysit, then parents need to take care of their children when they are sick.
    This brings to mind the memory of one of my teachers who had confided in me that she had just found out that she was pregnant. She was so excited because she had trouble conceiving.
    A child in her classroom came to school very ill with a contagious virus. Unfortunately, the first trimester can be a very susceptable time for a high-risk, unborn baby.
    My teacher lost her baby.
    Sad, but true.
    There were times I would have up to 6 sick kids in my office, because I felt that they would be better off in the superintendent’s office than in a classroom filled with kids and a teacher.
    After all, the supt is expendable. Teachers are irreplaceable, and kiddoes are just priceless.

I hope you family gets to feeling better.

Kathy

Well that is just awful! I am so sorry for your teacher friend. I know how hard getting pregnant can be, the loss is devastating. :( I totally agree with you as to sick kids being at home where they can rest and heal. While they are sick and in the classroom they are not learning and are getting others sick.

The teachers tell me that when they call parents to ask them to pick up their sick child they are often told that they simply are too busy at work and can’t. I find that tragic. For the child…the teacher and the parent. I wish I knew how to fix this problem and then how to enforce the solution. What good are rules when they unenforceable. That’s what we have now.