Some weeks are easier to get through than others.  This one was a little rough.  I am still dealing with the last bits of this flu that I had last week.  Maybe it was even the week before.  I have no idea.  I know that I am tired of not feeling 100%.  Other than that, I can tell you that I am very motivated.  We have our vegetable garden plan made….the seeds are here….and I can’t wait!  Hey, you know what would be fun?  A brick oven!!  I wonder how hard it would be to talk Hubby into building a brick oven….

My brain is running in overtime with all the new things I want to get to now that I have some time to myself.  We make our own sausage here often enough but we have not gotten into making homemade smoked sausage….kielbasa as an example.  I love polish sausage, I currently drive 30 minutes to the only really good European sausage shop in the area to get it.  I want to make our own, oh my gosh!  I am so excited with all the fun we will have!  Ok, i’ll calm down now.  I am just really motivated.  We are after all, coming quickly upon my very favorite time of year!  My fall decorations will be coming down from the attic this week!!!  It takes me some time just to sort through it all.  I am almost twitching I’m so excited!!!

That’s it. let’s just eat cake.  I have a one track mind at the moment anyway….there’s just no talking to me right now.

Dark Chocolate Cake

******To make this layered chocolate fudge cake you will need to make the cake recipe twice.  This recipe does not double well.  You will need to mix the batter twice.  It goes together very quickly so it’s really not a problem.

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan

1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional but I always add espresso or coffee to chocolate, it deepens the flavor in my humble opinion)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup sour cream

Fudge Frosting ~ Adapted from The Jelly Room on Food.com

12 ounces chocolate chips

3 tablespoons butter

1 (12 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)

For the cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch-round cake pan; line bottom with a round of parchment paper (is there anything worse than baking a cake and having it stick the pan????)  Butter and flour the sides of the pan. I actually rarely flour my pans but I know I am supposed to tell you to do it.  I simply use butter or pam.  I always use parchment on the bottom of my cake pans.  ALWAYS.

Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, espresso powder if using and salt.

In the work bowl of your standing mixer, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream and beginning and ending with the flour.

Spread batter in prepared pan. Tap pan firmly on countertop once to eliminate large air bubbles.

Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

Let he cakes cool for about 5 or 10 minutes in the pan then invert them onto a cooling rack.  Let them cool completely.

For the frosting….

1. In microwave safe bowl ,melt the chocolate chips until just melted 1-2 minutes.

2 Stir with a spatula or scraper. Stir in the butter. Let the mixture sit for 4-5 minutes.

3 Add the can of sweeetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. 4 That’s it! Frost the brownies or cake immediately as this mixture will set up and become more fudgey as it cools. If it cools too fast for you, place in the micrewave for 15 seconds to loosen it back up a bit.

To finish…

When the cakes are cool make the frosting.  This may the easiest fudge frosting on earth.  Move the bottom layer to a cake plate, making sure the bottom of the cake is now the top.  Put  a couple of good dollops of the frosting on that bottom layer.  Smooth it out evenly then add the top layer of cake on top.  Make sure the bottom of the cake is now the top with the second layer as well.  Frost your cake and decorate as you like.  This frosting does set up rather quickly so don’t move too slowly.

Get that glass of cold milk and gather the kids….it’s time to cut the cake!

Enjoy!

36 Responses to Got Milk? How about a nice thick piece of Old Fashioned Fudge Cake to go with it?

YUM! I’m baking a cake tomorrow for hubby’s birthday. I love chocolate–he’s, a different story!

2. Mark says:

Just curious T…are you excited? HA!!
    ..your enthusiasm is infectious from 1,720 miles away!
    As my IA garden continues to produce veggies(albeit in fits and starts due to the continued heat), I am, however, looking forward to winding down… while you are gearing up. Oh, I’m still getting oodles of peppers and maters, but the heat has taken its toll and once I plant my garlic in October, I’ll be glad to take a few months off.
    As a side note…as I am writing this, I’m watching Diners etc. on TV where a chef is making homemade Korean kimchi…have you ever made it? I love it, have made my own, and would recommend it if you’re in a spicy mood.
    Anyhoo, keep us all posted about your SOFLO farm…. TTFN
    oh, by the way, that fudge cake looks ridiculously amazing and as good as I’ve ever seen professionally made..probably even better tasting, I’ll bet.

I think I might be a little excited!!!! I adore this place when the garden is flush and the temperatures are cool enough to enjoy it all. We have some new things going in…I think you will like them. I will of course take lots of pictures. I know exactly how you feel about this heat…it’s been awful! WE garden down here in our version of cool weather. When the garden is fully planted and producing its about 75 degrees out. The bugs are drastically reduced and it’s easy to just sit out there and take it all in.

I love kimchi!! Yes I have made it. I serve it with my favorite korean dish bimbim-bop. I love that dish,do you know it? if not I will send you a recipe for it. It’s soooo good! Its full of huge flavors..it’s great with a really cold beer.

You know what will be fun? I am going to make hard cider this year. Have you tried that? I will have to use pre-pressed cider because a press is so expensive I will have to save up for it. I hope next year I will press my own cider!!!! We unfortunately can’t grow apple here (I am so sad about that) so I will order them by the case to press. Not ideal but better than nothing. The DIY lifestyle is so addictive!!!!

That cake is killing me…it always does. I bake all this stuff but eat very little of it. That cake is hard to stay away from. I gave a huge piece of it away…I had better give away more!

• Mark says:

Definitely looking forward to your upcoming garden! Your foray into beekeeping is very intriguing.
        I had never heard of bibimbap, but I did just google it. Looks like it could be a new favorite around here. I would gladly love to see how you prepare it. Whenever I eat Korean out,it’s almost always bulgogi.

I’m not a fan of hard pressed cider…or should I say, cider does not take a fancy to me. I’ll eat an apple, or apple pie, but keep that cider away from me or I am not responsible! But you have fun making it…
        Tried something different tonight for evening meal…well, just grilled hotdogs, actually, but they were ‘bruschetta dogs’ – olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomato, basil and garlic. Nice twist on an easy summer grill-out.
        Hey, enjoy the remainder of your Labor Day weekend…m

I will dig up the recipe I have stored in one of my binders. I love that dish! Bulgogi is sooo good too! You don’t like hard cider? Oh my, we just love it!!! It’s so refreshing. Well that sounds like a really cool way to change things up for a bbq!!! We are just coming into our grilling season. Most of the summer it’s just too hot here. We actually have a lot of fun with out smoker. Do you have one? This season I determined to master homemade smoked polish sausage. I’m not even sure why….I just feel compelled.

I think I have successfully talked Hubby into installing a brick oven!!!! We found a kit that comes with everything we need and will be the perfect size for this tiny farm. Im just so excited! I can’t wait to share pictures. Happy labor day to you!!!

3. Your cake look absolutely beautiful! YUM!

4. Megan says:

God, I loooove chocolate! This looks amazing, going to try and make a gluten free version now that I have my new mixer!

5. Nicole says:

Oh my goodness, this cake looks amazing! I could sit & eat the entire fudge cake :)

6. Pinned this! I love chocolate layer cake and this looks delicious!

7. Jeannette says:

This looks to good to share with the kids! All for me, lol, not even the hubby!

8. Winnie says:

Stunning cake!:)
    It looks sooooooooooooo delicious that I just must pin it :)

9. Oh, My! This looks absolutely delicious!! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Bacon Time. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash!! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

10. Diane Balch says:

I’m in trouble my baking husband has started to follow your blog. You are the only blogger besides me that he follows… We think you are the best. Thanks for being part of foodie friday.

That’s it. You made my day again! You have done that more than a couple of times. What type of baking does your Hubby enjoy? As Fall comes upon us my baking gets pretty serious. I much like yourself look for reasons to be in my kitchen. Tomorrow I am making a Traditional German Fall specialty. Its called “Zwiebelkuchen” in German. Its a Southern German Onion Tart that is eaten in the fall with the new harvest of grapes. It’s sooo good! The dough is yeasted not a tart like we make here. There is good bacon and heavy cream involved….I was going to make this today but I ended up just playing with my kids instead (I gave myself permission to have the day off from blogging today) :) You have to do that every once in a while.

Please thank your Hubby for me and tell him I am honored. I really am.

11. Aubrey says:

I will be trying this cake soon! I love chocolate and I’ve been looking for a cake similar to my mother-in-laws grandmother’s. She lost the recipe so I’m hoping this will be close. Thanks for sharing.

12. lindsay says:

Hi! This looks absolutely delicious! I found you at the Six Sisters’ Link party and would love for you to share them at my link party at http://mommyssweetconfessions.blogspot.com/2012/09/sweet-confessions-sunday-link-party-6.html . See you at the party!

13. Oh my goodness this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

14. OCG Niki says:

That looks amazing! Now I have to keep telling myself, no you do NOT need cake..! Haha

15. Debra says:

Beautiful cake.

16. Hi there!!! Thank you for linking this recipe on my blog. This cake is definitely one to try. I hope to see you again this week.