A few days ago I started feeling a little under the weather but yesterday I simply crashed. I had a meeting to attend at my kid’s school (it is a monthly required meeting because of a committee I am on) so I had to go.  I tried to pull myself together and have a happy outlook…I thought maybe nobody would notice.  Wow, was I wrong!  I must have looked like 5 nights on an angry mountain because whew did I get a reaction!  My Mommy friends came over and wished me well of course (they are all lovely) but very politely mentioned that I looked just awful.  I knew I felt bad but had no idea I looked as bad as I felt.  Obviously not a shining moment for me.  Sorry about that guys.

The truth is I am not exactly a fashionista to begin with.  I do not read fashion magazines EVER.  I can’t tell you how much I just don’t care about such things.  My entire wardrobe comes from a store called CHICOS.  I am a huge fan of their clearance racks!!!  The clothes in that store can be pricey but the sales on the clearance racks are AWESOME!!!  I am a keep it simple kind of person when it comes to clothing.  I wear minimal make-up ….just enough to look like I made an effort….and I often wear my hair pulled back away from my face.  That’s it.  I don’t have a collection of fancy italian shoes or have a real make-up and skin care regimen.  I wash my face.  That’s it.  My friends know me exactly this way.  I mean don’t get me wrong….I never go out not nice, neat and fresh…I just don’t jump through hoops over it.  However, I must have jumped through less hoops than usual yesterday.  Whew, I cold barely breath so I think I left off the make-up….Today I feel worse than I did yesterday.  I made a bit more of an effort though just in case anyone saw me at school today (picking up my kids).  Sigh.  I feel awful.

However, misery is no excuse to not look after my tiny brood.  So I thought comfort food would be the only way to go.  A rich deep dark chocolate brownie with a tall glass of ice-cold milk would hit the spot just right.  With that I was in my kitchen (Yes, my hands are kept impeccably clean).  This recipe is adapted from the book Baked by Matt Lewis.  These brownies are excellent!!!!  Best part, even feeling the way that I do….these brownies went together in a flash.  If you enjoy huge chocolate flavor, you will love these.

Deep Dark Chocolate Brownies ~ Adapted from Baked by Matt Lewis

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
3/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
5 ounces semisweet chocolate bar, finely chopped (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8×8-inch pan. Line with parchment paper and let it hang over two sides. Butter the parchment.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.

3. In a large saucepan, combine butter and espresso powder. Heat on low and stir until butter has melted. Add chocolate, and stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in both sugars until combined. Let cool slightly.

4. Whisk eggs and vanilla into the chocolate mixture and keep moving the batter around until combined and no longer grainy-looking. Add flour mixture to batter and stir just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with a greased spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a just a few moist crumbs attached (28 to 30 minutes). Don’t over bake! Let cool completely. Cut into pieces and serve or store.

These are really good….now, can I get someone to bring me some cold milk???  I’m finally laying down!

Enjoy!

17 Responses to I am sick as a dog today…Comfort food was required….Dark Chocolate Brownies!!!!!

1. Alyssa Ozzi says:

I left within 5 minutes of you last night, I did not see you today but was hoping you felt better. I picked up all the stray Box tops out of the bin and trimmed them nicely and am waiting for more to trim:) Hope you start to feel better soon, I know this annoying humidity and pressure disturbances are not helping you. But I must say you are amazing to take care of everything on the homefront especially when you are not yourself:) And last night you looked fine, but it was your eyes that gave you away…they did not have that normal happy sparkle:)

I sure hope you are feeling better real soon. You are too busy to be sick. Hahaha!!! Sometimes we mothers do have to take to bed for a day.

Oh I know! It’s just so hard to get so much done while I feel the need to curl into a ball and pull the covers over my head. I am feeling just a bit better today. No fever at least!

3. candice says:

I hope you feel better….I also feel down in the dumps…and this was my work day. ugg. but I made a peach crumble for grandpa, who, is taking care of the widgets even when they are grumpy and dont feel good either. thank goodness for family. :)

Oh no you too!!!! This cold is all over the place! It’s just awful. I hope you feel better soon. We are so very busy! Who has time to be sick!!!! :(

4. Ali says:

Me too, it must be some thing in the air. It must be back to school time and now we finally have that moment to rest. Feel better. I could just taste that brownie. Me…I had to settle with a chips ahoy cookie from Publix…buy one get one free! Kids choice.

Oh my…so many people are sick! This cold seems to linger just to make things worse. I’m sorry you feel yucky too. Hey, never feel bad about the store bought cookies…I bet the kids were perfectly happy to have some cookies to eat while Mom is sick! We do our best, that’s all there is.

I am so sorry your not feeling well! hope you feel well soon. chicos? love me some chicos,rack and all.love ya!

6. Judith says:

I know exactly what you feel like cause I have it too. this is day 4 for me and I too am progressively worse. I feel like 80 miles of rhinosarus poop. Hope you feel better. Loved your brownie recipe.

7. Ruth James says:

Hope you are feeling much better, I live in Tasmania and it’s yhe first time I have visited your site, I’m looking forward to making your brownies, I’m going to cook them in my brownie maker which I bought recently. All the best from the land downunder. Ruth

Wow!!!! Welcome Ruth. I really do get such joy out of chatting with readers from far away places. I hope you enjoy the brownies. What’s a brownie maker? Is that a gadget that I don’t have? How can that be? :) Have a lovely weekend…from the U.S. :)

8. Miz Helen says:

Hi Tamatha,
    I am a big fan of Chico’s and love going to that store. Sure hope that you are feeling better by now,but these awesome Brownies will make anyone well. Hope you have a fabulous holiday week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

9. Hope you are feeling better! Chocolate does help to fix things. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow!