A few days ago I started feeling a little under the weather but yesterday I simply crashed. I had a meeting to attend at my kid’s school (it is a monthly required meeting because of a committee I am on) so I had to go. I tried to pull myself together and have a happy outlook…I thought maybe nobody would notice. Wow, was I wrong! I must have looked like 5 nights on an angry mountain because whew did I get a reaction! My Mommy friends came over and wished me well of course (they are all lovely) but very politely mentioned that I looked just awful. I knew I felt bad but had no idea I looked as bad as I felt. Obviously not a shining moment for me. Sorry about that guys.
The truth is I am not exactly a fashionista to begin with. I do not read fashion magazines EVER. I can’t tell you how much I just don’t care about such things. My entire wardrobe comes from a store called CHICOS. I am a huge fan of their clearance racks!!! The clothes in that store can be pricey but the sales on the clearance racks are AWESOME!!! I am a keep it simple kind of person when it comes to clothing. I wear minimal make-up ….just enough to look like I made an effort….and I often wear my hair pulled back away from my face. That’s it. I don’t have a collection of fancy italian shoes or have a real make-up and skin care regimen. I wash my face. That’s it. My friends know me exactly this way. I mean don’t get me wrong….I never go out not nice, neat and fresh…I just don’t jump through hoops over it. However, I must have jumped through less hoops than usual yesterday. Whew, I cold barely breath so I think I left off the make-up….Today I feel worse than I did yesterday. I made a bit more of an effort though just in case anyone saw me at school today (picking up my kids). Sigh. I feel awful.
However, misery is no excuse to not look after my tiny brood. So I thought comfort food would be the only way to go. A rich deep dark chocolate brownie with a tall glass of ice-cold milk would hit the spot just right. With that I was in my kitchen (Yes, my hands are kept impeccably clean). This recipe is adapted from the book Baked by Matt Lewis. These brownies are excellent!!!! Best part, even feeling the way that I do….these brownies went together in a flash. If you enjoy huge chocolate flavor, you will love these.
Deep Dark Chocolate Brownies ~ Adapted from Baked by Matt Lewis
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
3/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
5 ounces semisweet chocolate bar, finely chopped (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8×8-inch pan. Line with parchment paper and let it hang over two sides. Butter the parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, combine butter and espresso powder. Heat on low and stir until butter has melted. Add chocolate, and stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in both sugars until combined. Let cool slightly.
4. Whisk eggs and vanilla into the chocolate mixture and keep moving the batter around until combined and no longer grainy-looking. Add flour mixture to batter and stir just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with a greased spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a just a few moist crumbs attached (28 to 30 minutes). Don’t over bake! Let cool completely. Cut into pieces and serve or store.
These are really good….now, can I get someone to bring me some cold milk??? I’m finally laying down!