There is nothing like the flavor of fresh lemonade.  We have reached the time of year when citrus is plentiful and so fragrant.  Store bought lemonade is full of high fructose corn syrup and artificial lemon flavoring.  Homemade is absolutely better but what if you could have fresh homemade lemonade and a good healthy dose of probiotics at the same time?  Your kids will never know its healthy, they will only know its tastes great and will adore your efforts!!

Lets make some lacto-fermented organic lemonade…

You will need a gallon size glass jar with tight fitting lid

12 organic juicy lemons

1/2 cup – 1 cup organic evaporated cane sugar  ( you can use sucanat but I find it make the color too dark)

1 cup fresh whey (easily drained from fresh yogurt)

cool clean chlorine free water

Here we go…

First you need to get that cup of whey.  If you happen to have some fresh whey in your fridge thats great.  If not get some whole milk organic live cultured yogurt or better yet make some.

Next you need to drain the whey from that yogurt, so you will need some very clean cheese cloth, a bowl and a few rubber bands.  The easiest way for me to do this is to drape the cheese cloth into the bowl and add the yogurt onto the cheesecloth.  Pull the sides up and gather them at the top and hold the whole thing closed with a rubber band…

Straining yogurt into cheesecloth

Now loop another two rubber bands through the ones holding your pouch closed and use this new “loop” to hang the pouch above the bowl from a knob on your upper kitchen cabinet…

Hanging my yogurt to drain

Once the yogurt drains for a few minutes grab a measuring cup and see if you have a full cup of whey.  Once you do go ahead and pour the whey into the glass jar.

1 cup of whey

Next get your favorite lemon squeezer or your citrus juicer and start juicing 12 lemons.

Organic lemons

Amount of juice will vary, this is how much I got out of these 12 lemons

Add your  fresh lemon juice to the whey in the gallon jar. Give it a quick stir.

Now you will need to decide how much sugar you want to use.  You need to use at least a 1/2 cup of sugar  (the probiotic need to eat) up to a full cup.  I used 3/4 of a cup in mine.  I like the level of sweetness left after the fermentation.  Not too sweet not too tart.

Next fill the jar with a gallon of cool filtered water and mix very well to distribute the whey and dissolve the sugar.

Now we wait

Now keep the jar on your kitchen counter (room temperature) and wait for 2 days.  The fermentation will eat some of the sugar you added so it will be less sweet than when you started.

Enjoy,  Its very tasty, full of probiotics and vitamins.  Your family will love it!

172 Responses to Healthy homemade lemonade ~ packed with probiotics and the kids love it!

1. Mary says:

This sounds great, I am going to start some right now, thanks for the recipe

It really is so good. I got the jar at “The Container Store” they are a chain so maybe there is one where you are.

• Yvonne says:

Cane sugar is never healthy just like canola oil is never healthy.

• Francois T says:

You think the probiotic does not have a heart nor a liver, the concept of “healthy” in this case is rather moot.

As the the cane sugar left (<1/2 cup for one gallon of liquid) this is such a small quantity that getting worked up over it is not necessary.

Now, if the very thought of swallowing cane sugar is too much, use raw honey, which also contain (gasp!)…fructose!

• Paula says:

you are so right

• Csilla Oliva says:

The sugar in this juice for the probiotic bacteria,they thrive on it,that’s what they eat,what you get is just a little bit of sweetness.You can use water kefir grain to make probiotic juice too.Yumm!

• Alex says:

Try kombucha.

• Jim says:

Add the whey to the diluted citrus juice so the acid wont kill the bacteria .

2. Mary says:

Oh by the way, where did you get that great jar?

3. Molly says:

Cool idea and great to know where to get the container!!
    Awesome.

4. Abbi says:

Neat idea. This sounds intersting. It doesn’t have a kefir like taste?

It does not. It tastes like really good lemonade. I find no taste leftover from the whey. My kids have no idea it fermented for two days. They love it. My husband can’t figure out which he likes better ther homemade ginger ale or this lemonade. So I make both.

5. Dea says:

If you wanted to keep it going would you need to start with fresh whey each time or could some of the original batch be used as like an active started to keep it going?

Actually I don’t think it cultures long enough to have the strength for a re-batch. Its such a short fermentation 2 days. I will give it a try and see what happens.

6. Abby Jo says:

Love this!! Will most definitely try this out ;)

7. Deb says:

Sounds great but I would need a non-dairy version since my son has problems with multiple things in milk (not just lactose). I can get powered cultures but would they work?

8. Brooke says:

This is awesome. My question is what do you do with the yogurt after all the whey has dripped out? Just chuck it? And how much yogurt do you need to put in to get the amount of whey needed? I’ve not worked with whey, and frankly am terrified to, so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Hello Brooke, good questions…with the leftover yogurt you can use that now very thick yogurt in a smoothie, a dip or as part of a marinade. Never throw it out, I always find a use for my by-products even if its nothing more than feeding them to my hens and goats. You will need about a quart of live cultured yogurt to get the amount of whey that you need for this recipe. Don’t be fearful of whey, its powerful stuff with lots of great uses. You can use whey to kick start a lacto-fermeted kraut for example. I have a recipe for that posted on my site too. So good for you!

• Lee says:

Draining the whey from the yogurt will leave a tart, cream cheese like substance called labneh. Add a little salt and it is delicious with some olive oil, olives and crackers

• Eva A says:

Yes, I spread a thin layer of lebni on pita bread and drizzle a bit of olive oil, mint leaves and salt. Roll it up and you have a great little breakfast or snack.

• steve says:

You can also make labnen greek cheese with the leftover yogurt

• Braids97 says:

After the whey has drained what is left better than the Greek yogurt that is sold commercially! I use in place of sour cream & used to throw the whey out, now I have a use for it too! Thanks for sharing!

9. This looks SO good! Thank you for showing everyone how to get that whey! Great post!

Thank you very much, Whey is such a handy by-product to work with its good to know how to get to it without having to make cheese everytime you need some.

10. Thanks for sharing! Will be trying this once we get some nice warm days.

Blessings, ~Lisa
    PS: found you at Amy’s Barn Hop

11. Quinn says:

Love this idea! Pinning it to try this summer! Thanks for sharing :)

12. Kim says:

I love this! We love lemonade, but even better with the warmer weather coming.

13. Lthrbth says:

Any particular reason this can’t be done with bottled lemon juice? I know it’s not as beneficial, just wondering if it would still ferment properly.

Hello, bottled lemon juice has been chemically as well as heat treated so there are no good bacteria to ferment. You need the natural bacteria and sugars to grow and feed the fermentation process. Bottled lemon juice would give you acid but none of the other good stuff you need. Stick with the fresh lemons. You will love the flavor!

14. Julie says:

I made a gallon for Easter and the children had to be bribed to drink it and the adults only drank a little bit to humor me. It just won’t work with my family!

Was your whey very sour tasting? When I make this lemonade you cannot taste the whey at all. I didn’t tell my family it was a healthy lemonade. I just poured them ice cold glasses and stood back. Anyone I have made this for had enjoyed it without ever asking about any off flavor. I can’t make this stuff fast enough. I am so sorry for family didn’t like it. May I recommend a different whey?

Maybe not from a cheese making session but perhaps from a nice fresh light tasting live culture yogurt.

• Julie says:

I used whey from yogurt and there was “cultured stuff” like kefir culture floating in it! Maybe I’ll try doing a very small batch one more time!

Did you run the whey through a fine cheesecloth to remove the floating “bits”? I never have any bits in my lemonade. Perhaps try a different brand of yogurt? I have gotten so many raves on this and I know you went through the trouble to make it for your family I really want to help you get the right result. Your happiness is important to me. Honestly, If I didn’t mention there was something special about the lemonade no one would know it. I do that all the time.

This sounds wonderful. Does this freeze well or can it be preserved somehow?

Hi, I fear that freezing will damage the live bacteria. I bet the lemonade will still be yummy but the benefits I think will be gone. Here, the family drinks it so fast I never had a chance to try and preserve it.

16. Kimberly says:

Do you sterilize your container before starting this process? I have had to sterilize when I’ve worked with cultures before.

Yes, I run all of my jars through the dishwasher on the sterilize setting as a rule before I start any project even just jam. It’s especially important when making cheese which I love to do to. If you don’t have a sterilize setting you can just make a quick bleach solution and soak for 10 minutes. Rinse really well though because that bleach smell likes to linger.

17. Hi Tamatha, I found you over at Our Delightful Home. I clicked on your onion garlic jam. But as soon as I saw fresh lemonade and probiotics on your blog I had to check it out. This sounds so good, I can’t wait to try it. I’m in California and everyone has lemons growing in their yards locally, so I never run out of free organic lemons. : ) Thanks so much for sharing. I’d love if you’d share your recipe at my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. : )
    ~Barbe~

That lemonade is so good. The family doesn’t realize it’s healthy. I am in no hurry to tell them either. The best part is how refreshing the drink is! The jam is outstanding!!!! I hope you love it too. You and I both live in citrus country, isn’t it wonderful?

18. Carole Lins says:

Hi
    It sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
    I have so much whey from making kefir cheese, have you ever try more whey in the receipe?

I have not tried more whey because I was worried about the flavor becoming prominent. The recipe as it is leaves the flavor of the whey invisible while adding great benefit. Do you garden? Plants love whey! so do chickens if you happen to raise them. My hens love whey.

19. [...] get at the local convenience store, I used 1/2 cup of the whey to ferment lemonade (following this recipe from ‘A Flock in the City’, making a half quantity and using honey as the sweetener). The rest of the whey I popped into the [...]

20. Joni says:

You probably haven’t had to worry about this…but how long do you think it will stay fresh in the fridge? I know whey by itself can last up to 6 months.

I will answer you honestly, It never lasts more than 2-3 days here. I would expect that this lemonade would be great for at least a week. Perhaps more but as I said, I am never given the chance to find out. :) I would hate to give you misinformation.

21. Jackie says:

Do you strain the bit of lemon from squeezing them? Mine has lots of sediment floating and at the bottom. Is that normal?

22. Julia says:

Hi there! I’m going to be making lactofermented lemonade and I’m completely new to it. Have you had any success using other sweeteners besides cane sugar (such as agave or coconut sugar)? Just curious if I have other sugar options ;) Would love any advice you can give and thanks for a great recipe! :)

Hello,
      I cant speak to the other sweeteners only because I did not try them. I would certainly give them a try and see what you like best. The culture is fed with sugar…I don’t know that it matters what kind. I would love to know how your comes out :)

• Barbara Higgins says:

Don’t use agave. It can be as high as 80% fructose which is very bad for you. Just think of it as high fructose corn syrup on steroids. I like your idea of using the coconut palm sugar; my kids love how it tastes.

23. Sareena says:

Thanks for the recipe…..mine is ready to drink< just wondering if it should be stirred or is it like kumbucha and not ment to be stirred? Can't wait to try it!

I am in the habit of giving my lemonade a good stir. I love this stuff. Have you tried making your own ginger ale? It’s such a fun fermenting project and extremely yummy. I have the recipe posted. I would love to know what you think. :)

• Sareena says:

Thanks…will give it a stir<can't wait to try it. I will have to give the ginger ale a try. I will let you know. Have a good day!

24. Tonya says:

Can I use lemon juice instead?

25. deborah says:

I’m curious as to how you think this will make more of the bacteria in yogurt (lactobacillus and acidophilus) when it needs a steady temp of around 110-115 F. degrees in order for the bacteria to grow. Kefir, I could understand as that is incubated by room temps.

• Delores says:

Hi Deborah, I make coconut water kefir using kefir starter originally, then using about 1/2 cup of each container to make the next batch. Your comment makes sense. I’m going to try making this probiotic lemonade with kefir starter as well. I think it’ll work.

26. Looks delicious! We love fermented drinks here and just bottled 2 gallons of home brewed Kombucha today. :)

27. Julia says:

I’m making lacto lemonade this weekend following your recipe and I don’t have a gallon-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid but I do have flip cap bottles. Could I make the gallon of lemonade and then store it in 16-ounce bottles to ferment? Let me know your thoughts – so excited to try this!!

I would only worry that you would have uneven results. If the mixture was not perfectly combined to ensure the whey is spread out evenly one bottle might ferment while the other does not. I am worried you wont have the perfect result.

• ann burnett says:

Julia,
      How did you make the lacto lemonade? I’ve been dying to make some. Will you share your recipe? Thanks.

28. Chris says:

I am wondering if this can be kinda of like the making of Kombucha, where keeping out a bit of the mix once it has had 2 days to add to a new batch would keep from having to go through the whole process with the whey and such???

Actually, I’ve tried to keep it going and it doesn’t work well. It becomes inconsistent and so I have to say no. To get the benefits the lemonade is unfortunately made by batch. That was a great question thanks so much for asking.

• Chris says:

Well, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Just have to make sure I have a few gallon jugs so I always have some brewing to keep the rotation going.

One other question…

I do know that sometimes when you have just begun drinking Kombucha that the detoxing qualities can give you ‘side effects’ (basically your body dumping toxins) which last only for a short time. I have heard it is good to just start with a small glass each day and then move to drinking a bit more to gradually to give your body time to adjust and to begin gently flushing the toxins. I wonder if anything like this precaution should be used when beginning to drink this lemonade?

29. Nancy says:

Glad I found your blog! We love doing things with whey (so healthy) and this lemonade will be added to the list!

30. susanna faygenbaum says:

HI, i just found this post. do you know if you can use the whey from homemade ricotta cheese?

• Carol says:

Whey from making cheese doesn’t contain probiotics. Whey from yogurt or milk kefir has bacteria that are necessary to culture the lemonade.

• Carol says:

31. jules says:

hi…love your easy post on this. i have 2 jars going right now. one i made with raw honey…before i found out that it doesn’t work as well…and one made with sucanat. question… does the lid need to be secure? airtight? should i put the rubber ring on the clamp lid?
    2nd question…it’s the 2nd day. should there be some kind of action visible at the top?. i do have some cloudy sediment at the bottom. should i stir that during the incubation period? i’m so excited about the experiment and want to get this right. i also have a ginger bug going…can’t wait. thanks so much

Oh good, I don’t use honey as it could cause problems. It really does need to close well enough to build up a little gas. There wont be lots so you should not have any explosions. I never have more than a little wisp of air when I open the jar. You will see tiny bubbles around the very edge of the lemon aid. This is great stuff, no off flavors and the kids love it. It’s nice to know its got a healthful kick too. Best wishes for a perfect batch. :)

32. glenda says:

I would think that whey from any product would work but have not tried that myself. just got our sugar yesterday. have found out that Braums milk does well to make your own yogurt, then drain off the whey.

why wouldn’t a huge glass container work with a glass plate on top to cover it while fermenting. I have a glass plate that does fit over a huge glass container that is not a jar, but I do think it is meant to have a glass lid, it does not have threads to screw on a lid but its the cookie jar type that had that type glass lid at one point, I get my containers at thrift stores etc. so I pick up large glass containers in that way. please confirm is there a valid reason to have a tight screw on lid? I steered clear of it with the fermented potatoes and was glad I did because they fermented right over the top of jar, knew it was time to bottle them up. they are really great mixed with a jar of frozen eggs to make scrambled eggs for breakfast and you can mix ham too, and since the skillet never gets so hot with scrambled eggs you get a lot of benefit from the fermented taters that add to flavor as well as moisture like cheese adds to scrambled eggs. just wanted to share, but also wanted to know if a tight fitter was necessary on the gallon jug, if so, will just use a gallon pickle jar, but was steering clear of the metal – in case you were wondering.

please confirm if anyone can say whether local honey that is not pastuerized would work?

I am careful not to use whey that would be too strongly flavored or it may cause an off taste in the drink. The jar needs to seal so there can be a build up of the gasses, then give good brisk stirs and close. I have not tried to make this with an unsealed jar. I love to collect jars and things like that, but I do keep quite a few ball jars on hand for stuff like this.

Fermented potatoes? How does that work? Whats the flavor like? Im terribly interested. I have had some ferments that are extremely active. This is not one of them. Might you share your recipe for fermented potatoes? :) I have heard stories bacteria introduced by honey so I don’t ferment with it. Though I do love to bake with it. Oh how I would love to have a hive of my own..

33. lorrie says:

I have this recipe sitting on the kitchen counter now and am just noticing that you said a jar with TIGHT FITTING LID. Mine does not. It’s just a lid that can be turned for pouring out. I hope that’s okay!!

34. jules says:

hi…jules again. thanks so much for the reply. just wondering what problems honey could cause?…. with further research i found that some people use it with no problems (very few). BUT…both batches came out great. i should have let the one with sucanat (3 day ferment) go another day or 2 to get a little fizz. the one using honey, with a 5 day ferment, came out delicious and had a touch of fizz, almost smelled like beer. i will make this again and again. now i’m onto ginger bug and ginger beer. is it totally true that there is no alcohol to be concerned about in this or the ginger soda? i don’t drink and it reeeeely smells like a light beer. just one more question…how long will this lemonade last on the fridge?

Honey has been know to harbor bacteria. It’s why babies can’t have it. As I recall they have to be a year old to try honey. When fermenting you must be in total control of the bacteria both good and bad. Im so glad you batches worked out great! Please be careful using honey in ferments. There is no alcohol to worry about at all. It’s just yummy and kids love it. You can add lemon and make a lemon soda or orange. My family loves lemon. If you over ferment alcohol can occur. Fermentation is the process of making beer. But the soda should in theory explode before that happens by this method. :) Always be careful with ferments…they can be feisty but I have never had an explosion.

• jules says:

hi Tamatha…thank you so much for your replies AND your wealth of information. maybe i will forgo the honey methods and stick to sugars. i’m new to the fermentation goods, but i’m fascinated. hope you don’t mind more questions along the way.

It is my pleasure to answer questions when I know the answers. I am thankful to have wonderful readers and other blogs that I read so I too can ask questions when I don’t know something. I am honored to be considered a worthy source of information. Best wishes for wonderful fermentations. It’s great fun when you get the hang of it. :)

• Carol says:

Honey doesn’t harbor bacteria. It actually has antibacterial and antifungal properties. The reason babies shouldn’t have honey is because of spores, not bacteria. Also, honey isn’t the only product that hasthat possibility, it’s simply the most well known…

35. Cynthia says:

I have been making my own ricotta cheese and I wondered if I could use the whey from that for this lemonade ? Thank you for any help you can offer.

I think the whey from the cheese might be too strongly flavored and would lend an off flavor to your lemonade. You can always give it a try. I try all sorts of stuff…even the things that don’t work out teach me something. If you do try it please let me know how it came out. I would love to know.

• Carol says:

RICOTTA cheese is not a cultured product, and would not contain the proper bacteria needed. You need yogurt or milk kefir whey. Same name, but very different substances (from a bacterial point of view)

36. Meghan says:

I’m on my second batch-it is delicious, my husband is always skeptical of my projects loved it.
    My question is what do you do with your leftover lemons? some I chopped and froze with vinegar for disposal cubes but still have amton of leftover lemons!

I’m so glad you like it. I clean the garbage disposal, soak lemons in vinegar as a cleanser….candy the peels….I try to waste as little as possible. The candied lemon and orange peels are a favorite around here. I have a recipe posted for them if you would like to try it. Great question, thanks for asking. :)

37. Kora LEhmann says:

Great recipe! Do you think I could use the whey from kefir and it would taste as good? Thanks!

38. This is a good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very precise info… Thank you for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

39. Dee says:

Hi there, great recipe and my kids LOVE it! I make a kefir coconut milk yoghurt and using the whey from that was just fantastic. Now I’m out of whey and was wondering if I could make a batch just using some probiotic powder? Would that work as well? Cheers!

40. JAMES R. says:

Well I searched the internet for 1 gallon glass jugs/bottles & what I found surprised me.

Ebay has a few but they are nothing to write home about…Amazon.com has a few more, but you’re looking at $10 – $20 per bottle.

Now I stumbled upon Uline.com & they have some that come 4 to a case(by the case is the ONLY way you can buy them) for about $18 – $23

There was a few other web sites, but they wanted anywhere from $18 – $25 just to ship 1 bottle….when I wrote to the company & asked them if that was per bottle, or would the shipping charges be the same for 20 bottles….I was informed that the shipping charges were PER BOTTLE/JUG.
    So if you ordered 20 jugs, the shipping charges would be multiplied by 20….20 bottles/jugs = 20 shipping charges.
    Needless to say, I informed the less-than-respectful salesman that I would never buy anything from them if the shipping charges are going to be that much.

I also checked Walmart, Sam’s Club, Costco, Target, and I even found a local beer supply store(they don’t sell beer, just the stuff to make beer/wines/liquors/etc)but he told me that the cost to ship across country is expensive & that’s why it’s hard to find 1 gallon jugs/bottles for a reasonable shipping cost.

I apologize for not finding much of anything, but I tried my best. :(

• Lene says:

I’ve found a barrel shaped gallon jar at Big Lots for like 6 bucks, if they still have them they might be more. They come with a bail type carrying handle you can put on after but they are not secure. Do n-o-t put these handles on and use them to carry even the empty jar with. They are for looks I think. The lids are metal with the usual cardboard like liner which you can take out but to keep a good seal you could leave them in and use a piece of plastic wrap on the opening before you put the lid on. Once these cardboard liners get wet you cant sanitize them so don’t get them wet. Don’t know how tough these jars are as far as pressure as I only have used them for canisters but if you keep a close eye on them they could work. Personally I am sticking with the 2 qt canning jars, they are designed to hand a certain amount of pressure so I dont worry so much.
      jmho

If I ever counted my canning jars I think I would faint. I get my gallon jars on line. They come 4 to case and are terribly useful. Thank you so much for sharing so many great ideas. I know it helps so much :)

• Barbara Higgins says:

Our family has made olives over the years, and we always used the left over glass gallon jars from buying pickles from Costco.

• Lois says:

I go to Kroger and buy a gallon of whole pickles and put the pickles in smaller jars and give as gifts so then I have a gallon jar for what ever use I need and it has the Lid with it.Love the Lemonade

41. bruce garwood says:

what about for diabetics, is this OK for them or is it way to much sugar?

I know that much of the sugar is consumed by the live bacteria but I am unable to say for sure how much remains. Your health and safety is so important I don’t want to risk an incorrect answer. Be well.

42. Paul says:

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Question:
    I’m a diabetic, so I try to minimize my sugar intake. Do you think a 1/4 cup of sugar will be sufficient for the bacteria? I can sweeten the mix with stevia.

I have been experimenting with using whey to accelerate my sauerkraut and other veggies, so this sounds like a natural to me.

Most of the sugar is consumed by the bacteria but there is some sugar remaining. Please be so careful. I don’t know the exact level of remaining sugar and I would hate for you to have a problem. I can say this does not yield a “sweet” beverage. If you should find it to work well for you, would you let me know so I can share that information with others? Best wishes :)

Whey is great stuff….

43. Janice says:

Where do you get the whey? I would have to go through cases of yogurt to get a cup of whey. Also the jar, where would one find that jar. I like it for storage period.

44. Karen Jaras says:

I have dairy issues, is their another option than using whey?

I’m sorry, I don’t know of a replacement that will work as well. I love homemade fermented sodas made form a ginger “bug” different but awesome!!! I have a recipe posted. You will be quite safe with that one.

45. Jerry G says:

RE: sugar, how about pure unpasturized honey insted and how much ?

46. Lene says:

Anything on using gingerbug instead of whey to start lemonade?
    I hate to waste the cost of the organic lemons on something that might not work.

I have never had this recipe fail. It’s worth the lemons. Ginger bug (which I keep as well) will make a very different drink. I haven’t tried it…but you are the second person to ask….maybe I will try it and see :)

47. Faith Wilson says:

Can I use maple syrup in place of the sugar? If so, how much would you recommend?

48. Pauline Lorincz says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to give it a try. Just a quick note on honey…. Honey is a natural antibiotic and will kill the culture. I will stick with raw cane sugar and perhaps experiment with coconut sugar. Thanks for the great post!

• jules says:

Pauline…thanks so much for explaining the “why NOT to use honey”. i did it once…it turned out great and i’m still alive, but now i always use granulated organic sugar.
      hi Tamatha…i’ll be posting about a new flavor combo soon. i’m addicted to this stuff

49. Ang says:

Mine turned out a bit vinegary and didn’t taste much like lemonade. I’m so disappointed. I had a jar with a lid that screwed on. I did use coconut palm sugar since it has a lower glycemic index. Any idea what might have caused it not to turn out right? I fear fermenting may not be for me, although I am very new to it.

50. […] Homemade Probiotic Lemonade […]

51. Rachel says:

For those who can tolerate Lactose, it should make a good substitute for sugar. It is available in health food stores. Plan to try it after the first batch with sugar, and compare.

52. Linda says:

I was wondering if you can use the whey from homemade butter? Thank you for sharing. I plan to try your recipe soon.

53. […] searching for a lemonade recipe I found this http://www.aflockinthecity.com/2012/03/25/healthy-homemade-lemonade-packed-with-probiotics-and-the-k…and decided to try it as I had yogurt separating in the fridge. It’s light, refreshing and a […]

54. I’ve been saving the whey from home made yogurt and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it, so I made up a batch of this. I just opened up my first jar after letting it ferment on the counter for 2 days. Wow! Absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

55. […] How to Make Healthy Organic Probiotic Lemonade […]

56. Jasmine says:

This was posted by Food Renegade in September 2009, please be fair and link to the original: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fresh-natural-healthy-lemonade/

57. Betsy says:

I made this about 24 hours ago and there is about an inch and a half of sediment on the bottom of the jar. Is the sediment supposed to be there? If so do I just stir it in before drinking? I know I still have another day to go but I’m just worried mine isn’t turning out right.

58. tee says:

how long is this ok to drink? like is there an ” expiration” date/shelf life?

To be honest I’ve never had it last more than a few days because my family goes through it so fast. I would say yes it has a shelf life because of the whey. My guess would be no longer than a week after the fermentation time.

59. Ardena Newton says:

I did not see anywhere that said if the lemondade is to be refrigerated after two days of sitting on the counter or is it to be refrigerated after opening it? Does refrigerating it kill the culture and you aren’t suppose to refrigerate?

Once the fermentation time is over you should put it in the fridge to stop the process (technically slow it down). You cannot use this to culture a new batch. Fresh whey has to be used each time. The probiotic benefit remains intact because they are very much alive just like in yogurt they are just not multiplying at a rapid rate anymore.

60. cindymangrum says:

I was wondering if you could use the whey that is left when making butter in a jar by shaking whipped cream. We like to make butter in my class at school and when shaking the whipped cream in the jar, the butter forms in a glob, leaving the whey, and we usually just pour that off. Is this the same thing that you would get from yogurt?

No, butter in most cases is not cultured unless you go through the process of culturing it. (I have a post on how to do that if you wan tot take a peek). Still it would not be the right type of culture. That whey is great in biscuits though. It’s real buttermilk. Don’t throw it away….fire up the oven. :)

61. Sue says:

Would xylitol work instead of sugar

62. Sue says:

Would xylitol work instead of sugar…..Thanks Sue

I cannot guarantee the result if pure cane sugar, reduced cane juice or some natural sugar is not used. I am unsure of what the affect on the live bacteria would be.

63. Kathy says:

We loved the lemon aid. Thank you for posting.

64. […] Healthy homemade lemonade packed with probiotics and the kids love it […]

65. Monika says:

After the fermentation of two days do we keep it in the fridge or outside. How long it can be stored either ways.
    Thanks for sharing this great recipie.

you move the lemonade to the fridge to stop the fermentation. If you don’t it will over ferment and become unpleasant tasting. Once its ready to drink I find its gone in a flash here in my house :)

66. […] recipe for the fermented lemonade can be found here.  I just swapped the Meyer lemons for the standard ones.  The Meyer lemons were so juicy I needed […]

67. […] high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors and make your own healthy lemonade by using this recipe from A Flock in the City. Kids and adults of all ages give this recipe two thumbs […]

68. Sarah Louise says:

I saw “pro-biotic” and couldn’t click on the link fast enough!! I find pro-biotics like yukult help me with bloating and digestion. What kind of strength does it have good bacteria wise? Like, will a glass equal a bottle of yukult? :) will be trying this next pay day!!! :D

69. Brenda says:

I am so excited to see this recipe! I spend a fortune on Kombucha tea for the probiotics. I will make this as soon as I can get the lemons! Thanks for sharing.

70. susanna faygenbaum says:

i just made my first chèvre cheese, can i use the whey from that to make the lemonade? is it same as stringing yogurt?

71. Diana Boles says:

I appreciate the photos that accompany this article. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out exactly how to make the whey. Lemons are in season, so I will definitely try this. My sons drink too many sodas.

72. angela says:

I tried this doing Maple syrup instead of the sugar. It is like the Master Cleanse but with the added probiotic effect. I love it.

73. JoBeth says:

I have two questions (sorry if you already answered these; there were so many comments :). 1) How long does this keep? 2) Do you juice the whole lemon (rind and all)? I can’t wait to try this. Thank you!

74. Penny says:

After the fermenting process, do you refrigerate or is it okay to leave out til its gone? :)

75. Eric says:

Due to the fermentation is any alchohol created. If left to sit longer will it create a hard lemonade?

76. It is the ideal time for making several ideas money this is the perfect time to be at liberty.. Good Food For Colon Health We’ve check this out release in case I could just simply I must propose people several fascinating troubles and also guidance. Perhaps you can publish upcoming content articles with this article. I would like to get more info troubles concerning this!

77. Cindy says:

I made this probiotic lemonade. There is a layer of white on the bottle of my jar. The lemonade smells great! When I stir it, the spoon comes up with sticky, slimy white stuff. Is this normal?