My kids love to eat oranges.  I mean they really love them.  I would rather them eat fruit than store bought candy or some such thing so I keep lots of fruit on hand.  I do not like waste.  I hold the position that I paid for the whole fruit not just the inside so I always find a purpose for the skins, cores….When it comes to citrus fruit I keep a zip bag in the fridge and save up my peels until I have collected enough to candy.  In this house it does not take long to save up a huge pile of peels.

Candied citrus peels are absolutely delicious and very easy to make.  It does take some time but not much in the way of effort.  Here is how you make them…

You will need to remove with a very sharp knife the white pith from the underside of the orange skin.  It is quite bitter and unpleasant to eat.

Now once you have removed the white pith (white pith on left removed pith on right in above photo) you will slice the now cleaned up peels into 1/2 inch slices.

Next you will take 1 cup of organic evaporated cane juice or whatever organic sugar you like and 1 cup of filtered water and bring it to a boil in a medium sized pot.

Once the sugar syrup has fully dissolved and has boiled you add the sliced orange peels and simmer for 20 minutes (simmer not boil).

When the 20 minutes have passed let the peels cool in the syrup over night.

The next day repeat the last step simmering the peels in another cup of sugar and water for 20 minutes.  Let cool over night again.  The peels are cooked this way to remove bitterness and to tenderize the peels.

On day three you will repeat the simmering step for the last time.  Once the peels have cooled completely you will strain you now slightly translucent peels…

You will now need a large cooling rack to lay the peels out on.  They need to dry a bit to be ready for the sugaring step.  I leave mine over night covered with paper towels lightly.

Once your peels have dried they will be very tacky, you need them to be so the sugar coating will stick and be so gorgeous!

Now get yourself a bowl and add some fresh organic sugar (fine grind).  You will now dredge each and every peel through the sugar on both sides.  Once done you lay them back on the rack to set.

These peels taste amazing.  They make the kids happy just as they are but are a wonderful ingredient to bake with.  They can be added to scones, pound cake and sweet bread recipes.  They can be dipped in dark chocolate or chopped and added to cookie dough.

Store them in a sealed container and enjoy!

21 Responses to Homemade Candied Organic Orange Peel ~ Yum

1. Marmepurl says:

Many thanks for the deatailed steps. I just tried making some candied peels a few weeks ago and they were quite bitter. I will try your 3 simmer method next time.

I can tell you that some citrus peels are more bitter than others, I have found that the three step simmer method makes a huge difference in the end. I do always check though before I coat in the sugar to taste and make sure there is no unpleasant bitterness, if there were which is rare I would simply add a fourth simmer. Also is is really important to remove the white pith completely. Leaving any on your peel will result in bitterness. I hope your candied citrus peels come out great next time!

2. Tra says:

Can you use the same method for making candied ginger? Have you ever tried it? Over the holidays, I usually buy candied fruits and ginger but they can be so pricey! This looks so easy to do…and inexpensive!

The method is very similar, how about I make some and post it? Its a good thing to have posted so in the heat of the summer and early fall we can get out fruits and gingers candied so we can be ready during the holidays making stollen and panettone! Don’t forget these fruits peels as well as candied ginger make great additions to scones, pound cakes, and sweet bread recipes. They also taste great right out of the container you store them in!

• Tra says:

I’d love to see that! Around the holidays, will you do a post about panettone? I bet you have a heck of a recipe for it….

Yes I will. I am doing a whole holiday series that will begin in late September. I need to stay way ahead of the holidays so people can watch all the videos and posts with time to perhaps include a few of my recipes in their holiday baking and maybe share some recipes with me to post here for my readers. Im going for a community effort with regard to my holiday series.

3. Rosalyn says:

Those look lovely! My father loves orange/chocolate candy so I bet that these dipped in chocolate would make a wonderful treat for him. Once you have the candied peels, how long do they keep? And do you refrigerate them or are they fine at room temperature?

I store them in a plastic quart container with a snapping lid or a quart sized mason jar with lid. I keep them at room temperature in a dark spot like in a kitchen cabinet because the humidity level in the fridge will cause your sugar to get sticky and melt. At room temperature these peels last for weeks maybe even months. They have never lasted long enough here to go bad yet. They are soooo good. Dipped in dark chocolate they are divine. If you will give the peels dipped in chocolate as a gift I do recommend tempering the chocolate first. If they will be eaten for dessert the same day the chocolate does not need to be tempered. By the next day the untempered chocolate will get a grayish color and a shift in texture if not tempered. Let me know how your come out.

4. This is AWESOME! What a great idea! I’ve never heard of candying fruit peels. I am so gonna have to try this. Thanks so much for sharing, and for linking up to the Homestead Barn Hop!!

5. Kristin says:

Those look tasty! I didn’t know you could eat the peels… thanks for sharing!

6. Jessica says:

Do you use a new sugar/water batch each time you simmer or can you simply reuse the same sugar/water that it has sat in overnight?

I use a fresh sugar water mixture because in addition to softening the peels in the cooking process the syrup works to pull the bitterness from the peels. The sugar syrup from the final simmering is saved because it is full of orange flavor but virtually no bitterness. This is now a nice orange syrup you can add to sweeten brewed tea or add a tiny bit to a yogurt smoothie…

7. Mary says:

These look wonderful, I have some organic honeybells still on my trees, I think I will try this. I would also love to make candied ginger, I will be watching for that

I will be adding candied ginger shortly, I have had another request for them. They are so great at holiday time. Let me know how your candied honeybell peels turn out. My family just love these things. Such bright orange flavor.

8. […] ago I shared with you  my recipe for candied orange peels, if you missed that one you can find it here. Those are so good and drive the kids crazy (ok, i’ll admit I “sample” them for […]

9. […] Shell Ice Cream Topping Sweet Roasted Chickpeas – I plan on trying this very soon! Homemade Candied Organic Orange Peel – […]