Vinegar Mother

I am one of those people who will if at all possible “make it myself” here at home.  If I get wind that something is even possible to make here at home I will research that item until I know all there is to know and then I will make it over and over until I am happy with the result.  I think it’s possible I am DIY obsessed.  In the vein, last year I started making my own vinegar.  I purchased a culture on-line and followed the directions.  That was simple enough.  I did however let my vinegar age for a year as I was looking to create a smooth, full round flavored vinegar that we could savor.  It was worth the wait, the vinegar is just perfect.

As I was busy feeling like I reinvented the wheel because I followed the simple directions and made excellent vinegar. I gave some thought to how much I have grown to rely on cultures of all types.  Home cultured creme fraiche, homemade yogurt, buttermilk, cultured butter….yes please.  Getting to have the whey to use in ferments….well that is just the best use of homemade a by-product ever!!!! Then there is probably the best known of the cultures sourdough starter.  I love my starter, she is always there for me…an extra “mouth” to feed everyday.

My starter after being fed

One of the best parts of being a family who keeps cultures for so many different foods here in our home is one I had never really given much thought to.  Sharing.  I am always giving away little bits of vinegar mother or sourdough starter.  I happily share my dairy cultures with anyone I can convince to even take a shot at using them.

I don’t have much luck getting my friends and family as excited by the thought of keeping these cultures alive.  I never have any trouble getting them to eat the food produced by them though.  I might be doing this wrong.  I think I make things a little too easy.  I try to lure converts by having them taste the goodies then I hit them with the whole ” I made this great stuff with this….”  Thats where I lose them.  I find keeping my starters going to be a pleasant part of my day.  It would seem I am odd.  Though come to think of it I think having 8 hens and 2 soon to be 3 goats in my backyard proof that I am quirky at the very least .

I think maybe I will have to make my peace with the fact that I will not be able to create fellow urban farmers around here for me to play with.  Darn.

Linked to Farm girl Blog Hop

12 Responses to Living with live cultures

1. Cheri says:

I came over from the Linky Follower party HOP to follow you and hope you will come follow me as well.

Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

(if you are already following me–sorry for the confusion–I am having a hard time keeping track of all the new followers and trying to follow everyone who entered my Linky Follower Party Hop.)

2. michelle says:

I am a new linky follower. I would love it if you followed me back. http://michelleslittlepeiceofheaven. Thanks.

3. itin says:

I’m a linky bloghopper, and I very well know the health benefits of vinegar with the mother. I use Bragg’s ACV for my ulcer pangs. It helps but I reek of smoke.

4. Heidi says:

Hello Tamatha,
    Great post. It’s not that you’re weird, it’s that our culture has been taken from us and replaced by a generation of people that have no idea where food really comes from. My entire family, Mother and siblings fit into that category. DO I love them any less? No. Do I keep trying to convince them of the benefits of growing their own organic food and cultured goodies? Yes. They will probably never listen, but I love them so I will keep trying.

I am so happy you joined our little Farmgirl Friday Hop and I encourage you to keep posting and to also post to our other great hops- The Country Garden Showcase, The Country Homemaker Hop, and if you’re a sewer or quilter, the UFO Roll Call challenge. Have a GREAT week ahead.

5. connie says:

Hi,
    I am happy to be your newest lf follower. I am coming over from the linky followers blog hop. If you would like to follow back, I can be found at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
    Thanks!!
    P.S. vinegar mother what a great idea…I will have to look into it!!

Thank you very much. The vinegar does taste best when allowed to age so keep that in mind. The longer it ages the smoother and more refined the flavor. Like the expensive vinegars at the gourmet markets. I will “hop” on over to your blog right now. Thanks for following me.

6. Found you through the new linky followers blog hop. I’m so happy to be your newest follower, it would be great if you follow me back. :)

And, on Friday I’ll be hosting a “What does your blog want to be when it grows up” blog hop with a few of my blog buddies … have you thought of your blog’s hopes and dreams?

Please check it out here…http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/when-im-five/

Karah